Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mercedes C63 sold - alternatives?

Counter Of Beans

Hockenheim
I'm now three months into owning a 2013 C63 estate; it's a "facelift" car, one of the later ones with the 6.2 litre naturally aspirated V8. They replaced it with a 5.5 litre biturbo and I think the latest ones are 4 litre turbos.
So what's it like? How does it compare to a 911?
Good bits:
The engine; the stand out feature of the car and oh my word, it is a masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, the Porsche flat six is iconic and a wonderful engine too, but this one (6.2 litre, V8, hand built by AMG) is just incredible. Masses of torque, very easy to drive around town, but floor it and you get 457 hp with a fantastic sound. A £400 remap takes you to 500+ hp (Merc restricted the engine so it didn't match the E63's one) if the standard power isn't enough.
The exhaust sound; woofly at low speeds rising to a lovely V8 growl about 3-4000 revs. Utterly addicitve and to my ears, much nicer than a Porsche six - I love how V8's sound and this one delivers. I also love TVR and Mustang V8's and it's in that league.
Practicality; well, it's a C class estate, isn't it? You could use it as a taxi I suppose! Seriously, it's a perfectly sensible daily, but can be a hooligan if you wish. Jekyll and Hyde, if you will.
Steering; surprisingly good - not as sharp as my 997 but closer than I expected.
Build quality/paintwork/fit and finish; all very good and no rattles or squeaks which some of these are cursed with.
Ride quality; mine is on 18 inch wheels and it rides sooooo much better than my Porsche did. Then again, it's not a sports car.

Not so good bits:
Fuel; it likes a drink! So far averaging 20 mpg in mixed driving. But hey, I knew that when I bought it. It's part of the V8 experience and cars like this won't be around for much longer, arguably.
Traction; if you are not careful it'll spin the rear tyres (which are quite narrow 255's) and the traction control kicks in. They didn't come with a LSD as standard, bizarrely, so I'm getting a Quaife diff fitted which will solve any traction issues.
Other owners; you can get one of these for well under £20k so it does attract some clowns. Such "yoof" seem attracted to the saloon and coupe versions, but the estate appeals to old gits like me and so far hasn't been a problem.

Will I go back to Porsche? Yes, but only when I live somewhere rural with decent roads. In urban areas I think this car is better for my needs. But hey, how lucky am I to sample all these brilliant cars?

Best wishes, Mike.

Like these cars a lot, thanks for posting the review.

That 6.2 V8 is a masterpiece as you say.

255's sounds very narrow - sure that's right?

The C63 and that M156 engine both have quite a following. Good to see you are enjoying it.

Re: Mercedes C63 AMG estate

Counter Of Beans said:
I'm now three months into owning a 2013 C63 estate; it's a "facelift" car, one of the later ones with the 6.2 litre naturally aspirated V8. They replaced it with a 5.5 litre biturbo and I think the latest ones are 4 litre turbos.
So what's it like? How does it compare to a 911?
Good bits:
The engine; the stand out feature of the car and oh my word, it is a masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, the Porsche flat six is iconic and a wonderful engine too, but this one (6.2 litre, V8, hand built by AMG) is just incredible. Masses of torque, very easy to drive around town, but floor it and you get 457 hp with a fantastic sound. A £400 remap takes you to 500+ hp (Merc restricted the engine so it didn't match the E63's one) if the standard power isn't enough.
The exhaust sound; woofly at low speeds rising to a lovely V8 growl about 3-4000 revs. Utterly addicitve and to my ears, much nicer than a Porsche six - I love how V8's sound and this one delivers. I also love TVR and Mustang V8's and it's in that league.
Practicality; well, it's a C class estate, isn't it? You could use it as a taxi I suppose! Seriously, it's a perfectly sensible daily, but can be a hooligan if you wish. Jekyll and Hyde, if you will.
Steering; surprisingly good - not as sharp as my 997 but closer than I expected.
Build quality/paintwork/fit and finish; all very good and no rattles or squeaks which some of these are cursed with.
Ride quality; mine is on 18 inch wheels and it rides sooooo much better than my Porsche did. Then again, it's not a sports car.

Not so good bits:
Fuel; it likes a drink! So far averaging 20 mpg in mixed driving. But hey, I knew that when I bought it. It's part of the V8 experience and cars like this won't be around for much longer, arguably.
Traction; if you are not careful it'll spin the rear tyres (which are quite narrow 255's) and the traction control kicks in. They didn't come with a LSD as standard, bizarrely, so I'm getting a Quaife diff fitted which will solve any traction issues.
Other owners; you can get one of these for well under £20k so it does attract some clowns. Such "yoof" seem attracted to the saloon and coupe versions, but the estate appeals to old gits like me and so far hasn't been a problem.

Will I go back to Porsche? Yes, but only when I live somewhere rural with decent roads. In urban areas I think this car is better for my needs. But hey, how lucky am I to sample all these brilliant cars?

Best wishes, Mike.

Great write up and good to hear that the C63 doesn't disappoint...

When I eventually sell my Turbo S this is where I will be going carwise ....

I bought a saloon a few years back with the PP ostensibly for my wife to drive , when I brought it home she told me to return it as it obviously was bought for my gratification...!...so a large slice of humble pie later ...back it went ...

She now drives the Cayenne , so this leaves me free to choose ... and I choose to go to the Moon , no I mean to a Merc C63 wagon ...

Just need to find the right one ...for now the fun is in the search and this is great to read ..!

Cheers Mike ..!

Now ...are you the 'Beancounter ' of the RRSport forum in days gone by ?.

911Tel - I used to have a Full Fat Range Rover (not a Sport) and was Counter Of Beans on FFRR forum, so you might be thinking of that one?
TurboRob; yes the rears are 255/35 R18's which, as you say, are rather narrow. Quite a few W204 C63 owners have gone to 265's or even 275's to get better grip - it's this car's weak spot - especially when 911 cars are running on 295's or 305's and getting much more grip.

Pleased that you guys enjoyed the write up. Happy motoring folks!
Mike.

You can try wider wheels/tyres to add grip. Ultimately, it'll lack the traction of the 911 for the expected reason.

Well, it's gone. As in sold. To those nice people at We Buy Any Car, as it happens, who paid me around £2k less than what I bought it for in May this year. It's a bit of a waste I suppose but there was no way I was going to sell privately to the sort of clowns that inhabit C63 world. I don't need that hassle! I am NOT Philip Schofield by the way.

Reason for selling? Simple, in the end. For 95% of the time it's just a C class Merc; you know, in traffic and on our congested roads. Yes, you have a genuine masterpiece of an engine sat in front of you.........it's a bellowing, rorty hand-built AMG classic, but you can't ever use it! Well, you can but you'll end up dead, or in prison. Do the 5% moments compensate for the 95% of the time when you're pootling along getting 17 mpg? Errr, no. And trust me, although the exhaust noise is heavenly, you can't hear it in the well-insulated C class cabin unless you're gunning the engine above 3000 rpm. And then, you're hurtling towards Brian in his Kia SUV on his way back from the garden centre. Or that sneakily placed Safety Camera.

OK, so what next? Something that is satisfying to drive at LOW SPEEDS. Because living where I do (think M27 South Coast), high speeds just isn't possible. I feel another thread coming on!

TLDR: bloke buys C63 and finds he can't use it, so sells it.

Cheers, Mike.

Playing Devil's advocate here...
devil.gif

Couldn't you say that about most cars :dont know:

Well done for trying it out though :thumb:

Yes, I think many new (ish) cars are far too powerful for our congested roads - I include modern Porsches in that. I tried a BMW M4 the other day and it left me cold - it might be fun on a race track but on typical roads with speed bumps and Jade in her Fiat 500 texting rather than concentrating it is a waste of lots of money.

Still, better to have loved and lost than..........driven a Hyundai, I suppose.

Thinking of a 993 as an antidote to overpowered modern machines.

I can empathise with your comments but not your solution.

I do a third of my annual mileage in a GT86 which is great fun (most of the time) and certainly allows a good percentage of its performance to be used quite frequently.

The rest of my mileage is shared equally between a 5 litre XF and my 997T. I rarely tap into the full ability of either but I wouldn't want to lose either of them.

I know that I'm fortunate to have different horses for different courses but if I was to only have one it would be something with nearer to 400 bhp than 200. eg. A 981 Cayman GTS

Very interesting read. I'm currently in the market for a '£20k" estate (though it's looking like I'll end up spending more like 25, and maybe end up with an SUV of some description). I considered a C63 wagon for about 5 min and thought the fuel consumption alone would annoy after a while, plus the absence of 4WD in a car with that much power doesn't sound like a good idea to me. So I've shortlisted down to a Golf R estate and Audi RSQ3. Having power in reserve can be fun, depends how much you trust yourself, you don't have to use it all the time 8)

I think you need a very special classic car that has a real sense of occasion when driving it. Speed isn't everything.

However saying that, the 2 most fun cars I have ever driven are a Audi R8 V8 manual and an Alfa 4C.

Can't say I'm too surprised. It has gone the way a few people suggested. Better to have given it a try. That's one ticked off the list.

I've always felt the E63 is the starting point for AMG and hadn't considered the C. Some of your comments about the C63 ring true.

Hmm a Merc, a Mercs a Merc, a Porsche is a Porsche, 'never the twain shall meet'! Ones a sports car ones a luxury cruiser. Never get how a Merc can be a sports car, or a bmw etc etc....

I expect driving an AMG GT and a Cayenne back to back might suggest otherwise.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back