Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Spyder

ELA

Barcelona
Back in 2010 Porsche made, what for me, was one of the most beautiful road cars they have ever made, the 987 Spyder. In the UK they released 3 cars in total in the ultimate spec: PCCB, no air-con, no radio along with carbon seats, of course manual and the lightest 19 inch wheel they have made. All up it came in at a paltry 1275kg, which was the lightest car they produced at the time and I'm fairly certain nothing has been remotely close since. This principle in design for me is similar to the 356 Speedster back in the 50's with it looking like no other Porsche at the time, the purest roadster form, low productions numbers, rudimentary roof...

Well the reason for the fairly long winded post is I can't believe my luck, I've managed to buy the actual car Jethro Bovingdon and Dicky Meaden used for the EVO car review. I've been quite fortunate in owning one or two wonderful cars over the last 23 years or so, nothing exotic (Lambo, Ferrari...) but some truly fabulous cars. For some reason though, this Spyder is the car that I feel has the potential to really get beneath the skin, probably as Porsche decided to add the key ingredients from the start.

I can't recall ever seeing one up close in the flesh let alone drive one. I'm even buying this one blind as I can't miss the opportunity (did the same with the 996 and still have it today, what 9 years odd now), so I really hope they are as good as made out to be in the reviews and owner feedback.

This particular rare example, besides the key spec listed above also came with driver focused options such as Short Shift gearbox, PSE and a few other bits to brighten the cabin such as extended leather... So far it has around 14k on the clock from new so barely run in.
In this configuration there are probably less than 50 cars total worldwide so this will be a keeper as I will never be able to find another one again like it. I just can't wait to pick it up, not sure how long I'll be able to resist trying to drop a few more lbs from it though...

I don't have any good pics yet but here are a few of the actual car
48274281856_edc00b3332_z.jpg

48274363927_c2732965e3_z.jpg

48274363942_241d5a9fd6_z.jpg

This is the EVO test with this exact car followed by a few other better pics of the 987 Spyder in general :

48274287931_ebefbc5490_z.jpg

48274369997_8c2d52a96b_b.jpg

48274288116_f3fafc4870_z.jpg

And here's what might happen if I start getting the CLR spanners out on it, more on that later ;)
48274427232_902c110e99_b.jpg

Awesome news Rich. I've missed your regular posts.

I was very close to buying a Spyder myself, but none came up with air-con and I had to have that.
I've spent a fair bit of time in both models 987/981. They are a proper drivers car on a sunny road and I'm sure you'll be upgrading the suspension anyway, but even in standard trim the damping is wonderful.

I'm sure you'll love it and I look forward to your updates again. :thumb:

PS Where is the Elise? Didn't hit the spot or it still with you?

Sorry Marky, not been posting on any forums for a while now as very busy with work. I've never been particularly keen on the Cayman or Boxster in general, not for the reasons many proclaim about them not being real Porsches etc, I just find the Cayman a bit awkward from a visual perspective (GT4 aside) and I've never been a fan of cabriolets. Simple as that. From a design perspective they are in many ways perhaps better than a 911 with the MR config. The Spyder though I have always found to be beautiful and well judged; in the direction of the F50 and CGT but useable and relatively affordable. Funny thing is I don't like them in any other colour than white and I'm not keen on either of the later generations. Look at the latest one, it is 200kg heavier than the 987. Also to put it in perspective, even the hallowed 911R is 100kg heavier. Porsche just really got it right with this car with a level of focus that I've not seen in anything since. Good job it is a Boxster really, as if it had a 911 badge on it, I'd hate to think what something so unique would cost, just look at how silly the 997SC prices are.

I still have Elise (and 996 for that matter), but if anything haven't really had the chance to get to know the car yet: driven it perhaps 8 times since buying and generally just to work or taking someone out for a spin. Thinking about it, I can only remember driving the 996 twice this year. The Elise is a lovely little thing though, just a little tricky getting in and out of and starts to run out of puff by 100mph due to the terrible CofD, and living over here; having a higher top end is a bit of a necessity. The only other fault I have with the Elise is the gear ratios, 4th to 5th being specific, they are just too far apart. 1 to 4 are perfect though.

Great luck getting your hands on that car. Enjoy it.

Subscribed. :popcorn:

My thoughts exactly Rich, regarding boxsters and Caymans. When I was struggling to find a decent GT3 in my budget, a good few people said 'Cayman R" but they just don't do it for me looks wise and while I'm not a poser, a car has to make you go into the garage for a sneaky peak sometimes doesn't it.
Again like you say, With the GT4 they nailed it.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this. :thumb:

Many thanks guys ;)

Magic919: That was my thought exactly, very lucky to get the car, so much so in fact, I paid for it today and I've not even seen it ;)

Thefinn: I think a little too early to answer that question, I have already thought about Li battery, LWFW, wheels, airbag delete, carbon bonnet... but to be honest I really just want to drive it first to see how good it is. I am rather tempted to get it down to 11**kg though as I'd only have to drop it by 75kg ;)

deMort: Thank you as always

Marky911: I'm with you, nowt wrong with a sneaky peak and for me buying a car like this is more than just a vehicle, it is a wonderful example of engineering and a piece of art combined that I don't need to drive to enjoy.

Wow, congratulations Rich, that looks lovely. Welcome to mid engine Porsche :thumb:

I think you are going to like it once you get to drive it, they are wonderful things to pedal.

Look forward to further updates.

Peter

So first update, been a bit delayed as I've been out driving :thumb:

48338468227_ec51501b0f_k.jpg

48338426187_af75ffa5bb_k.jpg

48338433342_0c6d5f177d_k.jpg

48338436707_4a93bc46e9_k.jpg

48338441117_6e327e4b79_k.jpg

48338454357_d3bf5ada54_k.jpg

48338316281_e4917c3010_k.jpg

48338461132_bedaa522fa_k.jpg

As always, making a UK car fit for LHD registration is always a major faff. The first issue is swapping the rear fog light over. Now I've tried to find a solution including going to my local OPC (Manthey Racing) yesterday, who were on it for a few hours, but unfortunately they were unable to unlock the secret and have contacted Porsche themselves to see what can be done.

Not to be beaten, when I got back last night I decided to have a more detailed look.

Ended up striping the light assemblies down to locate the PCB which controls the rear fog. Then spliced into the control circuit to then feed this signal over to the other unit and thankfully this little plan worked a treat :D

48386570792_e2148cfee5_k.jpg

48386429396_e64d0d33e9_k.jpg

48386568082_40eca3ea1d_h.jpg

48386427251_cdc59b8623_h.jpg

48386566892_22aff1e363_h.jpg

48386566487_0d43c07269_h.jpg

48386425836_2932d68250_h.jpg

48386427551_b5208ba4c6_h.jpg

Looking good Richard 👍
The Spyder is a gorgeous shape, I bet you are enjoying that around the local road's?
But, now you cannot get in the garage again !!😀
But it is full of goodness !
Paul

Great pics. The perfect roads for the perfect road car. 8)

Good job on those lights. I'd have opened them up, saw what was involved and then hastily put them back together. :grin:

Is it what you'd hoped for dynamically Richard? Suspension feel, brakes etc?
I know you're going to work your magic on it but I just mean first impressions I suppose.

Have a good weekend getting to know it anyway. :thumb:

Thanks for your comments guys.

Marky911, you raise a very good point. The Spyder straight out of the box really is a wonderful car and very engaging and I couldn't be happier with it. This one being so unique is making me consider the way forward very carefully. I'll be the first to admit I went a bit mental with the 996, so with the Spyder I will be quite measured in my approach but to be honest it is such a great car as is, it really doesn't need anything doing to it.

I'll briefly bullet point my feelings about it below:

Pro's:
-My god is it pretty!

-Brakes, the PCCB's are fantastic. Silent, beautiful brake pedal feel, never fade, completely confidence inspiring oh and no dust (clean wheels).

-Muchos torque; it really is a completely different power delivery to the M96. It pulls from any revs in any gear and at 4000rpm to the redline it really gallops along unhindered. It really is as much as you would ever need in a road car.

-Fit and Finish: This one is specced very well indeed, extended leather, Porsche embossed leather carbon seats, stitching, sports steering wheel. It is just a lovely place to be. I didn't know before buying but the roof is also carbon fibre. I don't have Hifi or AC, for me this is a must have (or must not have to perhaps be more accurate) massive bonus but I can also see how others may put this in the con's list.

-Handling: Some say the Spyder is a little hard, I find it nothing of the sort, it is very compliant and perfectly judged. The MR layout really is Porsches unsung hero.

-PSE: For a standard exhaust it sounds incredible. I have an Inconel625 system in mind but to be honest, if it wasn't for the significant power increase (manifolds and cats) and the 19.2kg saving, I don't think I'd be changing for sound alone, it really is that good. Also the small matter of €12,000 to find for the system :eek:

-Steering: Really well weighted and perfect feel with the PAS system.

-Gearbox: The ratios are bang on and my car came with the short shifter which is a must have. No notchiness like there is often in the 996, just clean solid, precise shifting.

Cons:
-Jumping out of the early 996 it is immediately apparent that there is a digital interface. It is not overly intrusive but it is there. For someone familiar with modern stuff they will probably think it is from the Flintstones by comparison, but my other toys are raw and peeled back.

-Difficult to work with. Just to sort out the rear fog light has meant trips to OPC, consultation with Porsche HQ. This is no fault with the Spyder specifically, just all cars from about 2002 on, are a bit annoying in this respect.

-Slight power lull (could be cam profile-vario, or exhaust valve flaps) but there is a slight noticeable transition, which I'm hoping the Inconel exhaust will remove (if it isn't cam related). I'm being picky here and perhaps most wouldn't notice.

Now bearing all the above in mind, I'm finding it hard to justify going crazy with such a great car. I have however tallied up a few ideas I have in mind which would just make the car that bit more perfect. This is centred around a slight weight reduction of a calculated 72kg, with a minor power uplift of around 16bhp. I wouldn't actually need to buy many parts (Exhaust, LWFW, CF bonnet & Lithium battery), the rest of the weight reduction will come from a sprinkling of CLR weight loss ideas. I do not want any changes to the car aesthetically as I think it is perfect and I don't want to detract anything which Porsche has created.

I learnt a great deal with the CLR996 project and I want to delicately introduce some of those ideas with this Spyder. The end result should be... well I guess we will have to wait and see.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back