Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Extra insurances when buying car

AA3751

So as per another post, just about to buy a 911. I'm wondering if people take the extra insurances and what their experiences are with using it...

- Tyre/Alloy cover - assume this is a no brainer? I've had it on previous cars and works well

- SMART repair cover - thoughts? Worthwhile taking? Anyone used it?

- GEN 3 Ceramic coating - is this a decent coating? Or best get a local detailer to do it?

- GAP Insurance - never bothered with this in past....?

AA3751 said:
So as per another post, just about to buy a 911. I'm wondering if people take the extra insurances and what their experiences are with using it...

- Tyre/Alloy cover - assume this is a no brainer? I've had it on previous cars and works well

- SMART repair cover - thoughts? Worthwhile taking? Anyone used it?

- GEN 3 Ceramic coating - is this a decent coating? Or best get a local detailer to do it?

- GAP Insurance - never bothered with this in past....?

The Tyre and Alloy Insurance I got, but only because the OPC threw it in as part of the deal. Maybe push them on that?

I had my car PPF'd and ceramic coated, but by a independent detailer. I'd do your research on that one and you'll probably find you'll take it elsewhere.

If the car is new you shouldn't need GAP Insurance. My Insurance includes something called 'New Car Replacement' for 36 months which is effectively GAP Insurance built in to the policy. If it's used, I think it depends what the Insurance company is liable to pay out if the car is written off or stolen. Again, I have an agreed value on the policy, but I'm not sure if that also applies to used cars. Depreciation on 911's isn't the worst, so GAP may not be as attractive as it is for other marques and models. But that also depends on how many miles you are likely to drive a year.

I think i paid 1000 quid for 3 years of wheel, tyre and Smart repair. I think this is well worth it for piece of mind. I claimed on the Smart repair within a month of ownership as i gently 'leant' the back bumper up against the wall of my garage!
Rick

These are great money makers for the dealers and don't always represent great value compared to alternatives elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back