Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 911 for 'sporty-gt' duties?

wadsy

Which is the best 911 for the following criteria?...

Decent comfort for long journeys
Great car to drive on the way and when we get there!
Decent luggage space for week or two away
Not too expensive to run: mpg, tax, Insurance, servicing etc
Won't depreciate too much if possible
Budget around 60k, but less would be better if poss!

I'm thinking as an all-year round proposition, the 991.1 C4S PDK would be the best bet, but happy to be persuaded otherwise - considering the 991.1 C2S or maybe even a 997 GTS or 997 Turbo if the 991 wouldn't be noticeably more refined, but, from what I've read I think it probably would be and a Turbo would be more expensive to run as well I believe.

Bit of background to my question....

We currently have a BMW 640d, which we bought primarily for it's long-distance comfort, low tax and decent mpg but also with decent performance. It has a bit of a split personality with the switchable damper settings and full-auto or paddle shift.

I would however like to change for something more 'sporty' and not quite as large. I've previously had a 996 C2 and would ideally like a cross between our current 6 series and my previous 996 ie. A 'sporty-GT'.

This is going to be our main car and will probably be the last chance I get to get my 'dream-car' as well.

I had also researched other cars (shock/horror!) but the 911 seems to be the best all-rounder, with others losing out for the reasons below...

Lotus Evora – good ride quality, but not enough luggage space?...and not the 'quality/solidity' of the 911

Alpina B4 – Could be a less expensive option, but I had a B3 Bi-Turbo before and found the (lack of) rear traction frustrating, hence preferring the 911.

V8 Audi R8 – even less luggage room than the Lotus and worse mpg than the 991

Nissan GTR – ride too firm?...high running costs?

Audi RS5 (V6) – High RS parts costs?

M4 Comp pack – Too 'hardcore'? Alpina B4 probably a better 'sports' GT?

V8 Vantage – cost more to run than the 911 and not as much luggage room?

In my humble opinion, I think the only ones to challenge the 911 (for me) in a 'dream/special-car' scenario would be the R8 or the Vantage.

Your thoughts and advice would be very much welcomed please.

Cheers

All the 911s you mention would fit your listed requirements although the 991 would suffer a little more from deprecation than the rest.

For something a bit more special I'd go for a Gen2 997 Turbo although you'd need to stretch your budget a little.

If £60k is the maximum there's plenty of 991.1C2Ss out there to choose from. Only higher mileage C4Ss are there at the moment but they're falling gradually.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

T8 said:
All the 911s you mention would fit your listed requirements although the 991 would suffer a little more from deprecation than the rest.

For something a bit more special I'd go for a Gen2 997 Turbo although you'd need to stretch your budget a little.

If £60k is the maximum there's plenty of 991.1C2Ss out there to choose from. Only higher mileage C4Ss are there at the moment but they're falling gradually.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

I thought the 991 would offer better comfort over the 997?

A Turbo may be nice, but surely it'll have higher running costs?

60k needs to be the max really I think, but from from reviews/videos I've read/seen the C4S seems to be a better option?

iirc - I've seen C4S's out there with reasonable mileage (40/50k ish) for around 60k.

A 991 would be more comfortable but a Gen2 997 is still a very nice place to be.

Running costs of a 997 Turbo aren't as high as you'd think. Servicing is a little more expensive but everything else is similar. MPG isn't much different.

Sadly £60k probably won't get you a Gen2 997T.

If you're planning to use the car regularly a 50k mile 991 would be a bit high to start with but if you can get a c40k mile 991C4S for £60k go for it. :thumb:

Did you consider the Jag F-Type in your list of alternatives?

Also there are some good options from Maserati and the new Alfa Gulia might fit the bill

Winny911 said:
Did you consider the Jag F-Type in your list of alternatives?

Yes, I did and thought it's boot would be too small and it wouldn't keep it's value as well as a 911?

Winny911 said:
Also there are some good options from Maserati and the new Alfa Gulia might fit the bill

Masser: Grandtourismo?...too big, higher tax, worse mpg, higher service costs

Alfa Gulia: Saloon, probably traction issues like my old Alpina B3 B-Turbo?..and not the quality of a Porsche or the residuals?

I would say 991 C2s would fit the bill, comfy & powerful, more refined than a 997

Wadsey welcome, first of all you're in the wrong place for anything other than a 911 and to be honest from your list it's conference v premier league.

You'll get plenty of opinions I'm sure, the 997 is a cracker but not so sure as a daily. The 991 beats it everywhere hands down, but you're on an enthusiasts site and the 997 has plenty of fans :thumb:

Obviously drive them all! (Then buy a 991) :grin: Remember especially as a daily high miles on a 911 is a big issue when you come to sell on, personally a low miler would be essential.

Ooh if you could just find another 10 k

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...rera-4s-pdk-immaculate-stand-out-spec/9744578

My advice is to go for 2wd. You'll get more luggage space for a start.

Traction won't be an issue due to the weight of the engine over the driven wheels.

If you are driving it lots in winter conditions, you're better off with 2wd+winter tyres than 4wd+summer tyres.

Just my two Penneth.

Happy shopping :)

spongebob squarepants said:
Wadsey welcome, first of all you're in the wrong place for anything other than a 911 and to be honest from your list it's conference v premier league.

You'll get plenty of opinions I'm sure, the 997 is a cracker but not so sure as a daily. The 991 beats it everywhere hands down, but you're on an enthusiasts site and the 997 has plenty of fans :thumb:

Obviously drive them all! (Then buy a 991) :grin: Remember especially as a daily high miles on a 911 is a big issue when you come to sell on, personally a low miler would be essential.

Ooh if you could just find another 10 k

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...rera-4s-pdk-immaculate-stand-out-spec/9744578

Welcome to the madhouse! I'm with Mr Squarepants! I've had an M4 Comp Pack, and sold my V6TT RS5 to buy a 991 C2S only 3 months ago. Buy the 991, because coming out of the 640d - you'll find the 997 too old, particularly when it comes to it's technology.

The RS5 is absolutely a super GT and massively quick off the line (think 3.5 seconds to 60)- but it's boringly efficient when compared to the 991 and it just doesn't interact with you in the same way. The feel of any 911 is superb, but the 991 demands fewer compromises than anything earlier.

The M4 is amazing on a dry road in warm weather. When you're in the mood. Hugely fast (because the 444bhp is actually more like 480bhp) and with almost zero understeer in the dry, it's lunatic fast. But put it on a cold, wet road and it's torque spikes mean that the rear wheels are constantly trying to spin up and it wants to oversteer everywhere. Then an Astra diesel will be faster.

Do let us know what you choose! :thumb:

Mercedes AMG GT worth considering, available for around £60k now.

on my 3rd 997, and would probably be recommending the 997 GTS coupe. It really is a fantastic car, and worthy of the hype. They are all over eight years old now, and low mileage ones are still over £60k.

However, having had a 991.2 as a courtesy car last summer, I would say that it would probably suit your purposes better at that price point. The new tech is nice , and you can still get the gen 1 3.8 normally aspirated ...the 3.0 litre hasn't got as much character , but is very torquey and quick. Ride quality is excellent in a 991, really civilised.... if you've had a 997, you might miss the steering feel and 997 feels more 'go kart like' than the 991

alexanders prestige have a really nice 991.1 coupe, low miles with the very desirable aerokit. £60k exactly

As Terry says the 991 will suffer a bit more depreciation yet...i can't believe you can get a leggy one in very low £40s now :eek:

@robertb
good call....
my mate sold his Merc AMG GTS last week for mid £60s. Just 17k miles on it, every desirable option, fast, sound incredible, literally F1 technology, but a really big car, and most definitely a GT. Its a mercedes, and therefore reliable enough as a daily, but its an autobahn stormer, not a b road car , which is where a 911 excels. Not a lot of luggage room in them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back