Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension advice for new 996 owner please

Cwt

Hi all.
So after having in excessive amount of cars over the years I've recently found myself to be the proud owner of a 99 Carrera in blue.
The car itself seems ok aside a few cosmetic touches and needing some rear tyres.
Miles wise it's got under its belt 120k.
I'm do on average a couple of Nurburg trips and spa every year with a few uk track days thrown in.
Have been looking at something not too far removed from stock however I realise tech has moved on a lot since the 90"s.
Max budget ideally of a grand and maybe if we can get it with something that adjusts for road/track.
Ideally something based round the stock set up.
Just want to hear from people with their own experiences please.
Thanks all

What's the state of everything at the moment? Seems harsh but I'd say £1k ain't going to get you a lot!!!! My car is on 88k and massive history. My plan next years is to do all the coffin arms, tuning forks and links and I'll do the spannering myself but I'm budgeting £1k ish!! I've oe shocks with hr springs and they are really good, very compliant. I'll save up again though and do the roll bars and then ohlins ideally. A friend with an e30 m3 runs bc coil overs which can be had cheaply but you'll need top mounts as well don't forget and he rates them. So that's an option perhaps for cheaper coil overs but if every other component is worn or worn out you'll need to chump up some more cash sadly.

£1k will get you quite a lot on parts if you only replace what needs replacing and are quite savy with your shopping.

A grand has bought me (for a C4 so some parts dearer):

2 x front Bilstein shocks - £342.
2 x front top mounts and bump stops - £216
2 x rear toe arms - £110
2 x rear coffin arms - £100
New eccentric bolts for the above - £36
Powerflex Gearbox mount inserts (a must) - £29
2 x Engine mounts - £194

Total - £1027.

Obviously this involves doing your own spannering.

If you don't have access to a hunter hawkeye or similar for alignment, then its worth getting down kwikfit and taking out their 2 year warranty tracking package. Was £120 and you can have it checked as many times as you want and something like 10 times where they make adjustments within the 2 year period. I've saved myself a fortune on wheel alignment by doing this.

For £1000 on upgrading it your best bet is factory M030 shocks, springs and roll bars.
But the point others are making is that with 120k miles, unless it's all been done already, any upgrades will be pointless if your existing bushes and ball joints are worn. It can be £1000 on parts alone for that lot.
If you're excluding labour, for £1000 you might be able to fit polybushes where you can, and source good used m030 or aftermarket springs and shocks.

Thank you for the information so far guys.
It feels ok" however it really needs to go on a ramp and have someone go over the suspension and parts so I'll get a base line to start from would be a sensible start.
I'd rather go for oe style rather than the cheaper end coilovers market.
I can spanner myself so saves somewhat on the labour.
Car certainly feels different to the megane rs and m3 I had before👍

Part of the 'trouble' with these is that they drive really well even when stuffs worn, they don't bang and clatter even though some parts probably want replacing. I can't wait to do mine but I've my manifolds to do first which will be quite enough money !!

yep defo get the MO30 KIT from Porsche as its cost effective and a lot cheaper than buying bits on their own. you get a small drop in ride height but much better handling and freshen up. maybe get the uprated roll bars further down the line.

Spyder performance on ebay can do kits with Powerflex polybushes for the coffin arms for a few 100 Quid

talk to Type 911 and matt for the RS mounts. go and see him with £125 cash and he will do the whole kit. that will help a lot.

Just done this work on my early 996.

The MO30 kit is £1,000 from OPC and is still good value whilst keeping things OE.

It's the £600 for all the other control arms, bottom arms and tuning forks etc that pushes the costs up. I paid someone to fit everything for me, which was another £300, plus an alignment check.

The trip to Centre Gravity and the £350 for the Geo set up is probably the most worthwhile part of the upgrade process though and worth every penny.
Chris and Pete are top lads are really know what they are doing. If you have a clear idea on what you want from your 911 they'll help you achieve this! :D :D :D

Most helpful thank you chaps
So the Mo kit is from Porsche only is that right ?
Thanks again

There's one on eBay at the moment. I believe but someone will confirm they are different for tips to manuals and c2 to c4 so best to double check

I'm pretty sure design 911 will supply one too, you get 5%off with forum discount although you have to add the vat on!! Alternatively sign up to Porsche club gb and use their discount at the opc.

Steve Gom said:
Just done this work on my early 996.

The MO30 kit is £1,000 from OPC and is still good value whilst keeping things OE.

It's the £600 for all the other control arms, bottom arms and tuning forks etc that pushes the costs up. I paid someone to fit everything for me, which was another £300, plus an alignment check.

The trip to Centre Gravity and the £350 for the Geo set up is probably the most worthwhile part of the upgrade process though and worth every penny.
Chris and Pete are top lads are really know what they are doing. If you have a clear idea on what you want from your 911 they'll help you achieve this! :D :D :D

Out interest, does the M030 kit from OPC come with top mounts and will it fir on a Carrera 4S?

Ta

I doubt it. C4S top mounts are different and around £200 each.

jaykay127 said:
Out interest, does the M030 kit from OPC come with top mounts and will it fir on a Carrera 4S?

Ta

I've just bought a replacement MO30 kit for "stock" on the advice of CG, I can photograph and share the contents if it helps (and I can do it...)?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back