Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another odd noise...

Robertb

Yas Marina
Just on the offchance someone might be able to point me toward things to check...

My car makes a gentle rattle for a 1/2 sec as the revs rise under load i.e 2nd or 3rd, as the revs pass through 1800rpm. Sounds like something loose or resonating in the engine bay area or exhaust. I can only hear it with the window down.

Sounds absolutely fine otherwise, and not a big issue at all, but always like to fix things if I can.

Firstly put you hands through your wheels and check your disc sheilds aren't loose, then walk round the back bumper knocking it with a knuckle and listen for any rattles from the heat shields. If it's non of them, then its a case of feeling round your engine bay for anything that may resonate.

Also, if you've got someone to help you, start the car, leave the handbrake on and try and set off holding your revs around the point it happens whilst the clutch bites. This will place a load on the engine same as when you're driving and hopefully replicate the noise. The other person can then poke around and identify where it's coming from.

If a standard Porsche exhaust, it could be internal baffles working loose. I have had this in the past around the rev range you mention. Had the boxes split open, baffles welded in place and put together again.

I had a rattle from one of the exhaust clamps rotting through (the bolt corroded and snapped). The clamp remained loose and rattled around.

Thanks folks for all the ideas, I'll have a good dig around at the weekend.

So yesterday, trying to fix another fault I removed a flint pebble that was stuck between the silencer and heat shield.

I also found that the PSE actuator is loose, which I will reattach or replace.

Fingers crossed it was one of the two causing the noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back