Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I Thought i Had Seen It All .

deMort

Monaco
Boxster in for a water leak .. rear drain blocked and door panel damp at the base .. a membrane leaking .

Went to remove the door card , all screws out but i couldn't get it to release .. rather strange .. had a closer look .. we do these on the floor so i'm now on my back looking up at the door card .. there's silicone on the door card .. a bit confused here ..

The door card has been siliconed in place .. this is a WTF moment !

a lot of gentle levering with a plastic trim tool .. trying to cut the silicone i finally manage to remove it ..

Pictures below kinda explain it from here ..

Someone had used 3 different types of silicone to stop a water leak rather than replace the foam membrane .. the original glue was still on the door which had reacted with the silicone .. in most places it was just a sticky mess .

A blade to cut of the larger parts .. 1 cm depth in places .. then a carousel wheel .. we use it to remove the wheel weight rubber when fitting new wheel weights ..

I burnt out an entire wheel removing this mess .

never seen a door card glued in place to stop a water leak before .. had me smiling until i had to remove it all .. lets just say i was covered in the stuff after this ..

Respirator .. goggles , glasses .. gloves etc ..

pictures tell it all i guess :D

very strange way to stop a leak .. the different silicones got me .. i can only assume it was more than one attempt to stop a leak .. i'm afraid bathroom sealant wont work on this sort of problem .. that was the top layer .

Right click and either view image or view in a tab to get a larger view .. i think its at its best in a full picture .

Attachments

• dsc_0011_116.jpg
    dsc_0011_116.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,411
  • dsc_0010_838.jpg
    dsc_0010_838.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,411
  • dsc_0009_107.jpg
    dsc_0009_107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,411
  • dsc_0008_368.jpg
    dsc_0008_368.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,411
There is some freaks out there! :dont know:

What a mess!!

I've heard of this type of repair before, usually by people who are running these on a shoestring.

Glad I did mine the proper way!

How gutted would you be to have that bodge job revealed on your pride and joy?

I have to say .. if you use chrome then load the first image in a seperate tab .. then zoom in .. you will get the full appreciation of how thick it is in places .

I'm guessing a membrane replacement on its own is 1 hr .. i think we get 1.5 to do a window reg .

The biggest headache is always getting the old glue off .. that's the only time consuming part of the job , i doubt these membranes are that expensive either .

All i can say though is it turned into about a 3 hour job plus parts to replace it !

Butil if you are going down the cheap route and i do understand cost implications as not everyone has deep pockets .

Butil but not silicone please :D

EDIT ..

Just to add .. if you carefully use a stanley blade and cut the old glue you can reuse these membranes .. a bit tricky but it can be done .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back