Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Colander

Gray79

Monza
Only had it since the beginning of May and just repaired my fourth coolant leak :nooo:

First one blew a hose off on the top of the engine behind the air box (I put this down to it not been clicked back in properly after the engine rebuild last year), then the hoses at the front end were all corroded, so had to replace them, then a heater hose was leaking due to the jubilee clip been over tightened and stripped and now a plate on the bottom of the engine started to leak, so I had to remove it and put a smear of sealant on it.
I suppose all apart from the corroded hoses I can put down to the engine rebuilders, but it's not doing much for my confidence in the car, only done about 300 miles in it!
It's a good job I've got my own car lift.

Was the car regularly used before you took ownership :?:

I`ve come to the conclusion that these watercooled Porsches do not like being left standing and not being used, this is when these sort of problems occur, lack of a good regular thrashing :grin:

kurlykris said:
Was the car regularly used before you took ownership :?:

I`ve come to the conclusion that these watercooled Porsches do not like being left standing and not being used, this is when these sort of problems occur, lack of a good regular thrashing :grin:

I'm beginning to think your right, it's only done 54k miles, and the last owner only did about 3k a year (same as what I'll probably do).

I try to give my pair at least one good heat cycle per week, with some high speed country lane driving and a bit of dual carriageway for good measure. My 996 was being a bitch since getting her out for the MOT in March, idling issues and stalling, now I`m using her again she`s running sweet as a nut, so I won`t be putting her away for winter next time :nooo:

I just don't get time to drive mine that much, although I do try and get it out at least once a week.

Hose not fully clipped in place .. i'm afraid it does happen .. its a bit of a silly system that a small locking pin for want of a better word holds a lot of pipes in place on these .

I tend to give them a good hard pull after fitting to make sure its seated ok .. we learn from mistakes im afraid .. not one i've made in many a year .. you only do this once .. but i agree .. once is too many :oops:

Front cross over pipes corroding is kinda normal i'm afraid .. that's a design / our crap weather plus salted roads for you .. a lot of the pipes are protected so it's only a few that are exposed .

Your other 2 faults are unusual .. so i feel you have been a bit unlucky there .. it does happen .. i see faults now and then that i'm pretty sure i will never see again .. that i realise doesn't help you but over all these are pretty good cars with some faults ..

Any make of car will have faults .. i'm afraid Porsche is no different .

Hopefully you can now drive the car with no further problems .

As Demort says, I think you've been unlucky, I don't subscribe to the 'good thrashing' lobby but I would say if you do take it out make sure the oil gets to temperature particularly in the winter to remove any condensation, other than that some preventative maintenance would be a good idea.

timbo1811 said:
As Demort says, I think you've been unlucky, I don't subscribe to the 'good thrashing' lobby but I would say if you do take it out make sure the oil gets to temperature particularly in the winter to remove any condensation, other than that some preventative maintenance would be a good idea.

I was hoping to not have to do too much to it this year, enjoy through the summer, then get it on the lift this winter and give it a thorough going through, but so much for best laid plans :sad:

Well you could enjoy until late September I would have thought, that's if we ever get a summer !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back