Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S/Turbo/GT2 Rear Light Savers

RichiRich

Suzuka
Anyone installed these (the plastic or metal version)? If so, are they any good?

https://rennfix.com/products

My rear light mounts are cracking and I'm wondering what to do about them.

Attachments

• img_97311_175.jpg
    img_97311_175.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 2,638
I did not install these but I like video of that 1700 HP monster loosing taillight :)

Expensive kit.

I have them and installed them. Not perfect and expensive, but on balance compared to the cost of a C4S/Turbo rear light, they are worth it in my opinion.

Picked some up in the US on a recent business trip via Ebay, mine had just started to show a few cracks around the bolt holes. They are easy to fit and do the job of securing the lights firmly in place.

:D

Attachments

• wp_20190618_004_805.jpg
    wp_20190618_004_805.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 2,512
  • wp_20190618_003_141.jpg
    wp_20190618_003_141.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 2,512
  • wp_20190618_001_119.jpg
    wp_20190618_001_119.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 2,512
  • wp_20190618_002_153.jpg
    wp_20190618_002_153.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 2,512
Nice!!! like it :thumbs:

metal or plastic?

They look good, even if a bit expensive. I am going to the US in July, so may buy some.

My offside light cluster decided to launch itself free of the car on the motorway today. Luckily it stayed attached via the cable, but its scuffed my bumper which was just repainted last week.

I've ordered a set of light savers from the US, but I need to use the car tomorrow so am just wondering if anyone has had any luck with a temporary repair to keep the cluster safe and secure in the meantime?

I was wondering about silicon or industrial strength black putty but not sure how secure they're going to be.

I'm starting to think this car is cursed!

Who knew that 911 lights could just fall out of a car?

Have done a temporary repair using some of that black putty along the bottom edge of the cluster and drilled a small hole in the left edge through which I've put a small cable tie to hold it in to the bracket.

Am hoping that will keep it in place until the light savers arrive from the US. Have also put some gorilla tape in the car just in case!

I guess its one of those bits of design which looks really nice and simple, clean, easy to maintain when you're designing a new car, but 20 years down the line, that plastic is clearly a weak point which will fail at some point.

Was there any warning of the impending failure?

I've seen these light saver things on the US FB pages but never knew it was an issue here?

Is it UV degradation of the plastic or vibration that causes failure?

No warning whatsoever although I hadn't checked out the mounting holes in the short time I've owned the car as I never knew it was an issue! Of course the issue is that unless a friendly passerby points it out to you, you could be driving for miles with a light cluster hanging out, happily scratching your bumper to $hit.

The left hand side mountings seem ok but I'll install the savers on both sides.

I suspect there's a few things at play - even down to just someone over-tightening the restraining screws at some point causing a small crack which is just going to grow over time with vibrations.

Happened to me. I parked up and someone pointed out that my rear light was about to fall out.

Love the quality of our generation of Porsches 😂

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back