Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The NEW 718 4.0 GT4 is here

Daniel

:thumb:

Four-litre flat-six powers Porsche's range-topping Boxster and Cayman, with downforce-generating aero kit

Six naturally aspirated cylinders, a full GT chassis, a manual gearbox. Not the technical specification of a new 911 GT3, but that of the new Porsche 718 Spyder and 718 Cayman GT4.

rp-gt4-5.jpg

rp-gt4-6.jpg

Both models mark the introduction of a proper six-cylinder engine into the 718 platform, which until now has packed only four-cylinder turbocharged power. With more than 100bhp per litre, the implementation of downforce-generating aerodynamics and a GT division-developed chassis, the Spyder and GT4 badges are sure to appeal just as their predecessors did.

The six-cylinder power unit is a development of the engine family currently used in the 911. Displacing four litres, the unit revs to 8000rpm and generates 414bhp on the way there, eclipsing the old Cayman GT4's 3.8 by 34bhp and the previous Boxster Spyder by 44bhp.

Porsche hasn't yet quoted a weight figure for either model, but the newfound power is good for a 0-62mph time of 4.4sec through the standard six-speed manual transmission, two-tenths quicker than the Boxster and Cayman S and GTS. Top speed is greater still – 187mph for the Spyder and 188mph for the GT4.

High-revving power hasn't, in theory, come at the expense of cleanliness either, with the 4-litre packing a petrol particulate filter, and adaptive cylinder control to cut injection to a bank of cylinders in low-load running. WLTP combined consumption is quoted at 25.7mpg, which is similar to what the old Spyder and GT4 were capable of in real-world driving.

Shedding speed is the work of aluminium fixed monoblock caliper brakes, while Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) remain an option, likely popular with those aiming to take their cars on track or regularly stopping from autobahn speeds.

Complementing the new power unit is a revised aerodynamic set-up. Both Spyder and GT4 naturally share several visual cues with this latest 718 generation of Boxster and Cayman, but the GT4 in particular makes use of a rear wing that generates 20 per cent more downforce than the old GT4's did – equivalent to an (admittedly modest) 12kg extra at 124mph – while both cars feature a functional rear diffuser, the design of which has benefited from a redesigned exhaust silencer layout.

Each uses a GT-style front bumper and splitter set-up, while the Spyder, lacking the GT4's rear wing, instead features a more conventional rear spoiler which deploys above 74mph. Porsche claims that, thanks to the rear diffuser, it's the first Boxster to generate aerodynamic downforce at the rear axle.

The chassis too has been revised. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) damping is standard, with a 30mm lower stance. Porsche's stability control system has been revised to suit the new models, and can be deactivated in two stages, while each car features a locking rear differential with Porsche Torque Vectoring. It's possible to go one step further with the GT4 too, with a Clubsport package that throws in a roll bar, fire extinguisher and driver's-side six-point harness.

All in all, Porsche claims the latest Cayman GT4 is more than ten seconds quicker around the Nordschleife than its predecessor. That puts it in the low 7min 30sec range – similar to times set in a Porsche Carrera GT back in its day...

Perhaps best of all, both models seem as reasonably priced as their predecessors, considering each is a true GT model in the vein of GT3s and GT2s. The Spyder comes in at £73,405, with the GT4 at £75,348. Knowing the demand for previous GT models you should probably get your order in sooner rather than later.

Looks almost identical to the old model to me. Gorgeous though, what's the bets they'll be on PH for £130k+ in no time at all ?

Feels good to be posting about something other than Gmund Cars :thumbs:

Good to see it retains the correct amount of pedals and manual gearbox 👍

Interesting that the Spyder has the same power as the GT4. Although revving to 8K the engine is derived from the 911 Carrera though, not the GT3 :?

Porsche must have spent ages blocking the power of that engine to only get 420hp from it. An 'unblocked' one will be savage!

Presumably its just a complete waste of breath making an enquiry to any OPC about availability?

Looks lovely and seems good value (if you can actually place an order for one).

Ghost said:
Presumably its just a complete waste of breath making an enquiry to any OPC about availability?

Yep, funnily enough I called into the new OPC Preston yesturday (opened 4 weeks ago) with just such an enquiry (before this actual announcement).

As its privately owned and the salemen have moved over from a BMW background they are just getting used to how things work in the OPC world. Yes every man and his dog has been in contact with them to try and get an allocation at a new dealership in the vain hope they have no historical customers at the front of the queue. As to be expected they are not taking any order, you get the normal spiel re letter of intent etc.... but they where honest enough to say no chance in reality. They do expect to be reselling some at overs on a SOR basis.....they learn quick :grin:

Looks great and I can imagine they will be like hens' teeth.....

mikeluke said:
Looks great and I can imagine they will be like hens' teeth.....

Maybe not

Suggestion is they aren't limiting the run, and it will effect be a standard production car to order

917k said:
Suggestion is they aren't limiting the run, and it will effect be a standard production car to order

Indeed that is the case. There is no limited production run, it will be part of the 718 line up starting at the bargain price of £75k.

Initially enquiries now suggest a delivery before end of 2020 - and that's without any previous Porsche buying loyalty :hand: That said OPCs will get an allocation with the buying frenzy this year, but Q3/4 2020 looks interesting.

It won't have the kudos of the 981 being a limited GT car but I'd expect values to take a hit given the 718 spec :roll:

If anyone has a 981GT4 willing to let it go for 60 bags give me a shout :thumb:

Lovely looking thing that will be an absolute hoot on a track :thumb:

Zingari said:
917k said:

Indeed that is the case. There is no limited production run, it will be part of the 718 line up starting at the bargain price of £75k.

Initially enquiries now suggest a delivery before end of 2020 - and that's without any previous Porsche buying loyalty :hand: That said OPCs will get an allocation with the buying frenzy this year, but Q3/4 2020 looks interesting.

It won't have the kudos of the 981 being a limited GT car but I'd expect values to take a hit given the 718 spec :roll:

No one will spec one for 75k though, will they

Most are going to be a 85k - 90k surely

I had a loaner from the OPC last week. 718 Boxster S, 56k as standard, but spec was just over 70k

Zingari said:
917k said:

That makes sense (for once :grin: ) :food:

What colour you going for :?:

ps can you imagine all those speculators trying to flip them for "unders" :floor:

The fact its NA has to affect 981 GT4 values though :bandit:

Just had a quick look and I hit £85K without even trying too hard....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back