Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

930 Overheat - hope it''s OK

Littlefraggle

Help please team. My 1987 930 lost its fanbelt yesterday on the motorway. Noticed the battery warning light but in crawling traffic took a few minutes to get pulled over as no hard shoulder for a few miles. Didn't get into red red line on temp gauge but was halfway between top line and redline.
What do I need to check for post new fanbelt install please? Any warning signs?

I had expected you to receive some sort of reply by now but as no one has, I thought to jump in. I have no air-cooled turbo experience, but some years back I had three air cooled Porsches. Fortunately the engine is oil as well as air cooled and that can help a bit in such situations.

Check the tail pipe for traces of oil is the crud there dry or wet...

I guess with the new belt fitted listen out for any unusual noises as you crank it over,

After it fires up check the oil pressure keeping your ears wide open for any mechanical noise from the engine bay.

Once running with no issues get it warmed up and again check for engine bay noises and exhaust for BLUE smoke

Keeping an eye on the oil pressure at all times, then with it warm check the pressure at idle.... assuming you can remember what it used to idle at before the belt issue.

You could cut the oil filter open looking for metal particles if there are any unfortunate signs, but by that stage I think you best involve professionals..

Hope this helps, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back