Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2. GTS or 991.1 GT3

spooky

Monza
Ok, I've decided against the 992 in favour of the 991.2 GTS.

But... seeing the GT3 being within my budget has made me question which might be the best option.

Realistically I won't do a lot of track days, although that has a reasonably high chance of changing. The car wouldn't have to be used every day as I have a GLC43 for general duties, but I'd be likely to use it most days.

Thoughts on these two cars and, in particular, anything I should be looking for if I go for a GT3. I've got a budget of just over £100K. That gets me a fully loaded 991.2.GTS just over a year old with just over 1K miles or a 991.1 GT3 from around 2014 with 10K+ miles.

I'd be very happy with the GTS. Then again... it's a GT3!

Either would do the job and be a great buy but when spending c£100k I'd have a good drive of both before deciding.

I'd imagine a GT3 would have better residuals, if it matters.

By all accounts that GT3 engine is a wonderful thing.

Do you ever have use for rear seats?

GT3

spooky said:
Ok, I've decided against the 992 in favour of the 991.2 GTS.

But... seeing the GT3 being within my budget has made me question which might be the best option.

Realistically I won't do a lot of track days, although that has a reasonably high chance of changing. The car wouldn't have to be used every day as I have a GLC43 for general duties, but I'd be likely to use it most days.

Thoughts on these two cars and, in particular, anything I should be looking for if I go for a GT3. I've got a budget of just over £100K. That gets me a fully loaded 991.2.GTS just over a year old with just over 1K miles or a 991.1 GT3 from around 2014 with 10K+ miles.

I'd be very happy with the GTS. Then again... it's a GT3!

GTS.
Imagine a day out at a car show....... with a set of likeminded chums. A few will have a look around the GTS, comment how nice it is etc etc. When you drive it, it's a cracker, powerful, quick and sensible, but something's missing and it starts with the sound...

GT3.
Imagine above, chums will gather around the GT3, it will be the main topic of conversation, everyone wants it and wants to drive it. And when you drive it, it's an event, it sounds incredible and it's a GT3! It also looks incredible. And the residuals will be significantly better, GT3!!!!! And the 10 year engine guarantee, etc etc...
At the moment there's only one thing better than a 991.1 GT3, and that of course is a 991.2 GT3 :grin:

To summarise... GT3! Clubsport if possible. :thumb:

The GT3 is a raw visceral beast, the GTS is a refined honed performer.
So long as you recognise this fundamental difference and what it means to you, then you won't go far wrong with either. Good luck.

There is of course concern for the 991.1 GT3 chocolate engine, hence the 10 year warranty :thumb:

Interesting comments.

Rear seats - I'd have them down for the rather handy shelf or covered for my Weimaraner, so no need for them really and I'll probably keep my GLC43 for general stuff.

The engine would be a concern once the 10-year warranty has gone, although if it last that long then maybe it wouldn't be a concern.

I'd probably be chasing the higher revs in the GT3 and it would be more of an event, but at the same time it will mostly get road use (although I might be inclined to do more track days with a GT3).

I've driven at 991.2 GTS and loved it (more than the 992 I'd just finished trying).

I'll drive a 991.1 GT3 on Monday.

For my budget it's a 991.2 GTS with maybe 1,500 miles, 18 months old and loads of options selected (PDCC, PCCB, RAS, PSP, Lane assist and other stuff, interior stuff, etc, etc, etc) or a 5-year old 991.1 GT3, around 10K miles with FAL (the lack of comfort and other spec wouldn't concern me if I went for the GT3).

Finding that a GT3 is within budget makes it a tempting proposition - to own and drive a GT3, and it would get driven. Mostly on the road though...

I have the 991.1 GT3 and would say do it. The engine is a marvel. I put my eldest daughter in the front and the younger one lies down across the back (with lots of cushions), so it is practical.....

I would recommend the DSC module, as it makes the ride far more compliant. The Brooke race exhaust is also great fun ....

Hi,

It's nice problem to have and a a tough one to solve. I have a fully loaded 991.2 GTS which I bought new in November and it's without doubt the best car I've ever driven on the roads. It's probably quicker on the road or at least as quick as the GT3 and it won't spoil your day. However the GT3 is a legend, think of it as the trophy wife as opposed to marrying your childhood sweetheart, and the the GTS really is a sweetheart. :grin:

Janko Lind might be worth watching if you haven't seen it yet and it's from a guy who owned a GT3.

Whichever you choose, it can't be bad.

Cheers,
Paul

paul284pt said:
Hi,

It's nice problem to have and a a tough one to solve. I have a fully loaded 991.2 GTS which I bought new in November and it's without doubt the best car I've ever driven on the roads. It's probably quicker on the road or at least as quick as the GT3 and it won't spoil your day. However the GT3 is a legend, think of it as the trophy wife as opposed to marrying your childhood sweetheart, and the the GTS really is a sweetheart. :grin:

Janko Lind might be worth watching if you haven't seen it yet and it's from a guy who owned a GT3.

Whichever you choose, it can't be bad.

Cheers,
Paul

Love his videos.

Is yours a 2 or 4-wheel drive?

With your use, GTS for me, GT3 gets tiresome as a daily, its a toy to play with :wink:

Tiresome! :grin: :roll: Never! Perfectly useable even as a daily :thumb:

jonttt said:
With your use, GTS for me, GT3 gets tiresome as a daily, its a toy to play with :wink:
spongebob squarepants said:
Tiresome! :grin: :roll: Never! Perfectly useable even as a daily :thumb:
Not a tricky decision at all then. :floor:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back