Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Retro fit air conditioning

AtariBoy

I'm at the early stages of looking to buy a 964, my first Porsche.
I fully appreciate air con was an an option and not a common choice when sold new.

Does anyone have any experience of getting it retro fitted to a car?
I'm not going to hold out for one with it fitted already, but it would be good good to understand if it could be installed at a later date. I appreciate it won't be easy or inexpensive, but I plan to keep the car indefinitely.

Many thanks,

There is an aftermarket kit which my garage has fitted a couple of times to early 911 cars .. no idea costs etc but if you want to PM me i'll give you a contact number for my garage so you can ask the questions .

Ive seen a classic retrofit system installed in a 964....very good!

AtariBoy said:
I'm at the early stages of looking to buy a 964, my first Porsche.
I fully appreciate air con was an an option and not a common choice when sold new.

Have you considered a cabriolet or targa? Cheaper and cooler!

I spoke to Alpinair today, they seemed to know their stuff although cost would be £4,800 plus VAT.

Not worth the dough as the spread between a non AC and a car with AC is not that great given that a 964 with factory AC and original evaporator a buyer is looking at £1.5k to sort it properly. Condition will be the overall factor regardless of AC.

And whilst AC works, it's not that brilliant.

why is the A/c in 964/993 generally considered crap and what weak links are there to address to make it better?

I've replaced every main part of the system (compresser condenser evaporater) during my ownership of all air cooled cars!

an electric kit sounds very cool has anyone tried one?

adrian993 said:
why is the A/c in 964/993 generally considered crap and what weak links are there to address to make it better?

I wouldn't say it was crap its just not 'as good' as modern varaints. I believe you can buy an updated high performance evaporator (popular in the US) and that improves the cooling effects.

You've addressed all the main issues it sounds like. What about receiver/drier? Most evaporators will look like this so efficiency is going to be well down:
Evaporator_zpso6r6wdvn.jpg

Most owners baulk at the evaporator replacement where a £100 part takes 10+hrs of labour cost to fit :what:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back