Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

History of my car

Newbe

Hi All

Only the second post I've made so be gentle!😀

Having just purchased a 997 C4S I was curious about how many they made.

Although the 997 was released in late 2004 the model year is 2005.

The 997 C4s was released late 2005 and the model year was 2006.

Confusing to me🙃

My 997 C4s was made in November 2005 which means it must have been one of the first few made and delivered to the UK.

Here's the question.

How would you find out what delivery/manufacturer number your car is to the UK or made? Is it in the VIN?

Ie is my car the 100th delivered/manufactured or 2000th?? Etc

Curious

The MY is in the VIN. You can find a breakdown, but it's around character 10 I think. Then the right most digits will be for the 997. You can get a good idea of manufacture date from lights and other car parts that have it on them.

Delivery is just a few weeks from Zuffenhausen to UK. They exit the production line and factory immediately.

Newbe said:
Here's the question.

How would you find out what delivery/manufacturer number your car is to the UK or made? Is it in the VIN?

From the VIN Number Porsche GB might be able to tell you how early your cars was in terms of UK deliveries but there's nothing in the VIN itself that would.

The last 5 digits on the engine number are for each specific engine so it would only tell you how many '3.8' engines (C2S and C4S combined) had been produced before yours.

EDIT/ps : The Model Year starts in August of the previous year and coincides with the factory re-opening after the summer shut-down.

I'd say they both (engine and VIN) end in a sequential serial number that matches at the point of manufacture.

Engine variants can't really have their discrete serials in my mind.

Magic919 said:
Engine variants can't really have their discrete serials in my mind.

:?:

I've always thought that there was a different set of serial numbers for each Gen1 997 engine version.

i.e the GT3. the 3.6 Turbo, the 3.8 and the 3.6

:dont know:

Here is my take. The chassis number (VIN) ends in a serial number. So does the engine number. The stuff to the left of that serial number tells the story. The serial number counts up, the chassis serial (VIN) is the master serial and most cars get an engine serial to match.

I don't know whether Turbo, GT3 and Carrera VIN serials just run in sequence. They might have separate counters.

Thanks for all the replies.

Looking through all the documents I got with the car it appears it was made on the 22nd September 2005, probably one of the first production runs for the 997 C4S. I know, I'm a sad git😂

I've PM Porsche to see if I can get any more details on delivery in the UK etc.

If I get anything interesting back I'll post it.

Newbi, its great & interesting to know the "story" of you personal P&J. I ordered a 997 from OPC Liverpool Mann Island in mid 2004 having read the article & viewed the pictures in Autocar of the 996 replacement . Had a Boxster from them in 11/01 following an order placed 3/01. Took delivery of my C2 14/11/04 so probably one of the early ones. Such a pity the dealership knew they were selling cars with shite engines by the time I ordered mine.

Hi Gary

I had to laugh at your post. Although I bought the car I still don't have it.

Yes I bought the car with a shite engine😅😂 although knowingly.

I got it cheaper with a view of getting a Hartech rebuild, which is where it is a we speak.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back