Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Possible rough idle on 997.2 C2S

jaymzz

Hi,

I am concerned that my 997.2 C2S is becoming a bit rough on idle, particularly whilst on choke after a cold start. I may be overreacting to something which is completely normal so wanted to get other owner's opinions before paying to getting it checked out.

Click below to see a video of my jittery rev counter on start up and another one once everything is fully warmed up:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/11sSuUnX6EZGcwGv8

The car has done just under 32K miles, had a minor service in Sept 2018, and fluid levels are good.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
James

I'd be more concerned with the MPG......that's outrageous. Far too high. You need to extend the right ankle more😎
BTW your needle doesn't seem any different to mine

FZP said:
I'd be more concerned with the MPG......that's outrageous. Far too high. You need to extend the right ankle more😎

Haha! This was after the long trip back from Beaulieu for Simply Porsche last weekend. Slow moving motorway traffic most of the way. MPG is normally a lot lower!

That seems pretty normal to me.

You could try cleaning the MAF and throttle body and see if that makes the idle a bit more stable. Beyond that, if the plugs are original you might consider replacing them (and check for any cracks in the Coil packs while you doing it).

That all looks like mine. The first bit (up to 60 seconds) is the alternative cam timing for the cold engine. It should then settle into a lower idle, albeit a bit lumpy. Some fluctuation in the lower speed is par for the course in my experience.

systech1 said:
That seems pretty normal to me.

You could try cleaning the MAF and throttle body and see if that makes the idle a bit more stable. Beyond that, if the plugs are original you might consider replacing them (and check for any cracks in the Coil packs while you doing it).

:thumb: Good advice.

I remember having a throttle body replaced on my 4S, the fluctuating revs issue was much worse than yours and it had horrendous MPG.

OPC's first reaction was to clean the MAF and throttle body (which obviously didn't work in my case)

Thanks for the advise everyone. Think I will keep an eye on it before taking it to be checked.

Someone else has recommended making sure the oil cap is clean and properly secured. I have done this and there may be a slight improvement.

Cheers,
James

As and when , no rush .. get a fault code read out of the DME .. if no codes then its fine .. i have a hunch here of a possible fault but your idle is much better than i would expect for this fault .

i was thinking high lift solenoid valve for the tappets sticking a bit on x1 bank ..

I doubt it's this and your idle is not that bad .. it's just a feeling i have of a possible fault at the beginning so to speak .

Not visually, but mine feels so much rougher and lumpier at idle now, having had the engine mounts renewed! :eek:

deMort said:
As and when , no rush .. get a fault code read out of the DME .. if no codes then its fine .. i have a hunch here of a possible fault but your idle is much better than i would expect for this fault .

i was thinking high lift solenoid valve for the tappets sticking a bit on x1 bank ..

I doubt it's this and your idle is not that bad .. it's just a feeling i have of a possible fault at the beginning so to speak .

Hi DeMort,

Thank you very much for the info.

I have plugged in a OBD2 scanner which is reporting no faults. Live data on the scanner is showing my RPM to fluctuate between 665 and 695 at warm idle. Does that sound about right? I can send you over all the other stats it collected if you think it would be worthwhile.

Cheers,
James

If no codes then I expect you are ok.

I had a high lift solenoid fault but I got misfire codes on the bank affected and an engine check light. Replaced solenoid and all settled down again.

Since replacing I no longer get the occasional slight smoking when starting which is a bonus.

jaymzz said:
Hi DeMort,

Thank you very much for the info.

I have plugged in a OBD2 scanner which is reporting no faults. Live data on the scanner is showing my RPM to fluctuate between 665 and 695 at warm idle. Does that sound about right? I can send you over all the other stats it collected if you think it would be worthwhile.

Cheers,
James

I take the view at work that if a customer has owned the car for a few years and they say it's not the same then i believe that 100 % .

But from a mechanics point of view with no fault codes and a very small fluctuation i'm unlikely to find a fault .. at best i could possibly end up throwing parts at it ... i don't like doing that ... this may settle down or may get worse .

My advice which i give to customers is .. i don't doubt you but i don't have much to go on so monitor it for now and see how you get on .

High lift solenoid is a much bigger and obvious fault with as already said .. misfire fault codes which you don't have , so for now just drive the car and see .

If it is this it will either settle down or get worse and that will prove it .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back