Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thinkware F800 Pro dash cam advice

GP41

Nurburgring
I'm thinking of getting a Thinkware F800 Pro dash cam. At this stage I don't know whether it will be staying in the 911 and I'm not sure of impact on warranty (unsurprisingly I've not heard good things...) so I was going to fit temporarily for now for an upcoming road trip.

According to the product blurb "PREVENT VEHICLE BATTERY DRAIN - State-of-the-art energy saving parking mode monitoring system via the G sensor. The F800 dash cam continuously monitors the health and status of the vehicle battery and will shut down if it detects any issues without the need to purchase additional power magic adaptors."

So it looks like I don't need a power magic pro or an additional battery pack to save the car battery. I'm just not sure whether the parking mode facility is available if the unit is plugged in to the cigar lighter or footwell accessory socket, both of which are always live. It's not clear whether the unit has to be hardwired or just has to have an always on supply for parking mode to work?

Can anyone confirm?

TIA

GP

After some chasing I managed to speak to the UK Authorised dealer. You do need the hard wire kit to use the parking mode. Plugging into an always live cigarette lighter will drain the battery. So contrary to the blurb, it's not the unit that has voltage management to avoid draining battery, it's in the hardwire kit - so not much different to using blackvue with a power magic pro then :roll:

Hi GP41; thanks for sharing this.

When you make your final choice please can you come back on here and update this with what you buy, why you bought it and an host assessment of how it performs.

I'm really keen to get a new solution in my car; i'm fairly lazy and don't want to take 32Gb SD card out of the car ever day and wipe it clean it then put it back in the camera.

What i;d love to get is either:
a) a camera that, when i get to my office, recognises my wi-fi and uploads the contents of the camera on a daily basis, or
b) can send the details via 4G/5G via a SIM card (I own my own network so it wont cost me anything)
c) just constantly records and over-writes for say a 48hr period.

Keen to here your progress m8 :thumb:

Osh

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back