Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Odd clunking sound on my PDK

fara7_uae

Hi all,

So I purchased a 2014 Porsche approved 991s2 about a year and a bit ago, and Ive always had this weird clunking sound coming from the gear box. Its pretty prominent when the cars cold and goes away as it warms up. What concerns me the most is that there is always a clunking sound at low speeds going from 2nd to 1st gear.
I've spoken to the service guys about it and they say its totally normal. Is it?

Any info anyone could provide would be great.
Cheers!

I don't like the sound of that I have a 991.1 C2S PDK same age & mine is smooth & quiet, doesn't may any noises.

I would take it to a different OPC & see what they say, unless others on here chip in to say different it doesn't sound right

My 9972 PDK clunks on the downshift from 2nd to 1st in Sport auto, and that was always regarded as normal. The PDK isn't an automatic with a torque converter. I hadn't remembered as I drive the car "on the paddles" - or in manual mode most of the time.

Have you ever tried a full throttle upshift up near the redline? That also makes a solid bang. Very satisfying.

They do ( 2nd to 1st) as you come to a halt .

This is the issue though, people have different experiences. I guess I'll take it to another OPC and see what they say. Limited with my choices here honestly(live in the UAE) so only got one other place I can go and get it checked out.

Thanks for the replies though.

Perhaps just get the gearbox oil and filter changed? As a precaution?

Under warranty they can't fix the box. They might try a software update if one is available. It would need to be pretty bad for them to replace it.

Oh and by the way - I also have a 991.1 C2S and it never clunks. Unless in Sport Plus - it's smooth as silk. Going up and down the box. Even down from 2nd to 1st Hot or Cold.

I have a C2S and no clunks. Have it checked out independently. Are there independent Porsche garages to at least get their verdict?

I started having this exact same issue on my 2012 C2S a few months back. Previously the gear box was smooth all the way through (18+ months ownership).

Then one day it started being a little clunky between 1st and 2nd. Particularly when cold. I also have a very quiet clunk when pulling off in 1st, especially following hard braking to stationary. Took it to OPC, who checked it over and said everything is normal. They sent an engineer out to drive it and they said that's just how the PDK is.

i'm waiting to see if it gets any worse - then presumably more noticeable.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back