Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbo wastegate arm failure

Rosselder83

Spa-Francorchamps
So my first foray into Porsche ownership has taken a bit of a sad turn. Last night I was under the car checking the movement of the actuators and I was glad to see they were free as can be.

The passenger side was really free. The part of the wastegate arm that the actuator threads through has detached itself. A new one on me.

So my options as far as I can see are

Attempt to weld it back on, it looks like there may be enough material to do a plug weld and if the wastegate is free it should function as normal, the issue will be getting it back on in the right position.

Exhaust off and try to get a replacement piece in. From what I remember of other turbos these things are normally held in by a circlip?

Or turbo off and away for refurb.

Worth noting I thought it was quick and it was only producing 0.6 bar so I'm making the assumption the gate isn't stuck shut.

Open to any and all suggestions, I'm a competent home mechanic with a good array of tools and equipment so I'm ok with getting my hands dirty.

Option 3 would be to remove the turbo and replace the flap properly with it off the car.

Assuming the rest of the unit is perfectly functional that would be my approach. If they are rusted to the point where the actuator flap arm is falling off you may just be better off getting both blowers refurbished, although the passenger side one is usually in a much worse condition than the drivers side as it hangs lower and is more exposed to the elements.

:thumb:

A fair point indeed.

A couple of questions off the back of that - any top clues on where i can get a wastegate arm? Ive had no luck so far.

For the worst case scenario, who are the go to chaps for refurbs? Im sure ive seen CR Turbos mentioned a few times?

The turbos are made by Borg Warner, you might be able to contact them and either buy a part from them or get info as to their UK distributor of parts. I did this when trying to find upgraded bits for various cars.

For the turbo refurb, if they are standard then I hear good reports of Turbo Dynamics. There are a few threads on here recommending a few places.

To me though, this is a sign that your car is telling you it needs some new turbos... ones which produce a bit more..... shove. :)

:wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back