Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Duck tail's plus water = help needed?

Porkee

Hi all

I have just fitted a new duck tail to my 997 gen 1, I'm a little worried about rain water getting in.
I have read not to worry about it, but is there anything that can be done because it seems very open to the elements IMO.
Thought's and advice welcome. :thumb:

Doesn't rain get in through the standard slatted lid anyway?

Yes, I wondered the same thing when I fitted my ducktail - the opening at the top does seem large. Fear not though, as there should be a drain hole at each side by the rubber stops where it meets the rear bumper, so water will run out and down the rear bumper (my RPM one does anyway, so I would expect all makes / designs to have the same holes). And any water that goes through the top and into the airbox will run out via the drain holes in the bottom of the airbox.

Your car was looking sweet on Sunday by the way!! :thumb:

I was worried about the same thing mate when I fitted my RS wing with the front facing vent, but it doesn't seem to be an issue and as squelch says the airbox has drain holes in the bottom.

theres always the other option see the pic :grin: :grin:

Attachments

• black_classic_car_under_umbrella_md_wm_112.jpg
    black_classic_car_under_umbrella_md_wm_112.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 2,561
squelch said:
Yes, I wondered the same thing when I fitted my ducktail - the opening at the top does seem large. Fear not though, as there should be a drain hole at each side by the rubber stops where it meets the rear bumper, so water will run out and down the rear bumper (my RPM one does anyway, so I would expect all makes / designs to have the same holes). And any water that goes through the top and into the airbox will run out via the drain holes in the bottom of the airbox.

Your car was looking sweet on Sunday by the way!! :thumb:

Cheers mate,

That is one lucky frog, just need to add Miss piggy. :floor:

Phil 997 said:
I was worried about the same thing mate when I fitted my RS wing with the front facing vent, but it doesn't seem to be an issue and as squelch says the airbox has drain holes in the bottom.

I'm a bit disappointed you didn't use the Porsche umbrella to be honest. :grin:

Porkee said:
Phil 997 said:

What and remove it from its location in the PAX door sill , is that allowed :grin:

Phil 997 said:
Porkee said:
Phil 997 said:

What and remove it from its location in the PAX door sill , is that allowed :grin:

Don't be silly, you not supposed to get them wet. :grin:

Can you chaps post some pics of your duck tails & let me know where you got them from please.
Am looking for one too.

Here you go - I have the RPM carbon one. It's the closest to the genuine Porsche 997 Sport Classic available.

Attachments

• img_8433a_182.jpg
    img_8433a_182.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,262
  • img_9462a_127.jpg
    img_9462a_127.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 2,262

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member