Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT beeping noise

Rosselder83

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi guys, first post so be gentle. I've bought my first Porsche and I managed to get it for a 'reasonable' price based on it needing a few things sorted.

One of the things is this beeping noise, to clarify it's not the speed limiter ping and initially I thought it might be down to the car having a tracker fitted (not activated) but after reading on a few forums I think it might be something to do with the parking sensors.

To sum up the issue basically while driving about the car will make single, double or triple beeps then at certain speeds it will be a long continuous beep. Usually over 65mph which makes motorway driving a riot.

If anyone has experienced similar I'd be interested to hear, the previous owner said this all started when the old battery was swapped out for a new one.

If anyone could get me a video/sound clip of what the parking sensors sound like I'd be most grateful. Or alternatively is there anyway I can diagnose the parking sensor system?

Ross

You need to get a fault code readout of every control unit .. there is a park assist control unit that may well have codes in it .

I would also check the coding for this control unit as you mentioned it happened after a battery change .. i've seen lost coding a few times over the years on different control units and all from a battery problem .

The main systems are accessed with pretty cheap .. well cheap ish testers but this PA control unit may well not be supported so if you don't have a tester then i would advise you to get an Indy to have a look .

we use Autologic .. a back engineered Piwis tester and a piwis 2 / 3 .. none of which are cheap .. we do have Durametric which is pretty damn good but i'm afraid our testers are somewhat better .

At work we work on 1 hr diagnosis .. basically we will spend an hour looking at a fault then contact you with results or the need to go further .. it's then your decision .

A fault code read out , a check of possible coding options and a road test is what i would do in an attempt to track down a fault like this ..

1 hr labour charge is imho better than throwing parts at something via a guess even if an educated one .

I can't say that all Indys are the same .. but i always hope they are .

The battery clue is important so if you go with this route then make sure you tell them that please .

As demort suggests worth checking for fault codes. In the mean time it might be worth asking someone to follow you to see if your reverse lights are flashing on while driving. The rear sensors should only come on when you select reverse. You do normally get a beep from the sensors when you select reverse gear. I'm thinking if not software then possibly an issue with the switch or an earthing issue on the rear light clusters.

Thanks for the input guys, next time I drive the car I'll check for beeping when putting it in reverse. I'll try get a video clip too just so you can see what I'm dealing with and if it sounds like the noise a functioning parking assist system makes.

Hi guys, here's a video of the ignition being turned on. The beep at the end is similar to the beep I'm getting while driving. It's a constant beep over 65mph

I was watching another video and when the chap turned the ingnition on he didn't have that beep. Anyone shed any light on it. I read the fault codes in the ecu and there was none

https://youtu.be/-VEhy_4K-bE

I'll get a driving one up later today.

Do you have non standard park sensors fitted by any chance ?

The beep is not one that seems familiar to me .. might be sound quality of the video but i don't recognise it .. and that's strange .

There is also no beep like that as standard .. hence i'm wondering if this is some aftermarket thing .

btw .. trackers don't make any noise whatsoever .

I've just watched the video back and the noise in the video is as it sounds in real life so that's interesting what you say about aftermarket stuff.

I'm not sure if the parking sensors or OEM or after market, I guess once I get the bumper off I'll be able to tell.

There was some other chat about aftermarket alarms being the cause on some other forums.

I've attached a pic of the rear of my car, excuse the state of my garage. Over due a clear out.

There's definitely no beep when I put it into reverse either

Attachments

• 49aa61e8_e265_4c4a_a2e1_521576611bc3_242.jpeg
    49aa61e8_e265_4c4a_a2e1_521576611bc3_242.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,640
Ok .. first off we are both bikers , i don't actually own a car so i'm going into full
detail here :D

The park sensors look standard .. a tester and communicating with the system would 100 % prove that and indeed say if there was any faults .. either way i've seen just about every fault there is on these and they don't do what your car is .

if i was desperate i would remove the instrument cluster .. if when testing after that there are no beeps then that would say its a factory system fault as the cluster has a speaker in it which you have now removed .

i'm moving on atm .. is there a radar detector installed .. have a good look at the front pu .. small box in the center , glass or plastic screen on it.

Maybe a metal switch somewhere under the dash that doesn't look standard ?

I'm also back to a full system test to see if there are any fault codes listed ... durametric is pretty good and won't break the bank balance .. always useful to have something like this going forward imho .

At the end of the day , i can't see the car so do what i can from what you say :)

Thanks for the epic reply fellow biker.

I'll start hunting for anything electrical that looks out of place. I'll get a driving video up tomorrow so you can see the oddities in all its glory!

re beeps

on the turbo there are parameters you can set do do with speed warnings etc on the left hands talk where you check the oil level! i think you will find if you go into these something will be set to warn like going over 30mph. have a look and check it . good luck

Just to add something to this, I was doing some fault code checking today and all came back fine. When I walked past the rear of the car it beeped. When I moved it stopped beeping.

After a bit of investigating it was the parking sensors picking me up. This was with the car in neutral and only ignition on. Is this normal behaviour?

The beep it was making sounded like the beep in question so I'm hoping I'm onto something here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back