Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil warning

Sean-f

So I had to take my wife car to work this morning then she calls saying she needs to go out and can she bring Pork to me and take her car, she starts it leaves it running till everything reaches temperature 7 miles into her 10 mile journey it comes up with oil warning message she calls me in a panic I tell her bring it to me only 3 miles (warning light on all the way), when she arrived the car sits for about half hour till I can leave work I plan on picking up a litre of oil and topping it up no drama but when I get in the car and let it check the oil it is sitting in the middle no warnings or anything so I pick some oil up on my way home I come the long way on some nice B roads about 25 miles without any warnings,
water temp bang on 80
oil temp just over 90
the only thing I have noticed is in the handbook it states that at 5k revs pressure should be 3.5 and I'm just under 5, I don't want to over fill with oil but now have a litre in the car just incase, I have only had the car just over a month and it is a 3rd car so only really driven for fun.

I have noticed the oil level varies greatly depending on the incline where I park is this normal as I haven't really owned a 911 for a very long time.

do you people top the oil up or wait for a light and if you are topping it up where do you let it fall to and how much are you putting in.

my car is a 2006 C2s manual,

Thanks in advance,

Always check the car on the level when measuring.

I tend to keep the oil topped up to one bar from the top of the electronic gauge. When adding oil do it 100 mls at a time and check the level before adding more.

Bear in mind that the difference between the min and max lines is only about 600 mls, even on the minimum there's still going to be 7 litres+ in the tank.

Do you know what kind of warning message it was at all ....

Low oil level or low pressure ?

Can you turn on the ignition but not start the car and check the oil pressure gauge .. it should read 0 .. if above this then the oil pressure sender needs replacing as its not accurate .

As T8 has said .. always read off the oil level gauge when on flat ground , engine needs to be run to operating temp , then switched off and left for 5 mins to get an accurate reading ... there is a 5 min countdown on the lvl .. if you get a 10 min then the car is not hot enough and needs to be run for longer.

I wouldn't be worried if level is reading ok when at temp and on flat ground.

Try to check under the same conditions each time, then you have eliminated several variables.
I do mine when I've parked in the garage after work, level, and always at temp (90deg min). The countdown is between 45seconds and 10seconds when I do it. (Nice b-Road commute).

Have you smiled at what a good bit of design the filler cap is yet?

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to help me.

deMort said:
Do you know what kind of warning message it was at all ....

Low oil level or low pressure ?

Low Oil Level

Can you turn on the ignition but not start the car and check the oil pressure gauge .. it should read 0 .. if above this then the oil pressure sender needs replacing as its not accurate .

Oil pressure gauge reading zero

As T8 has said .. always read off the oil level gauge when on flat ground , engine needs to be run to operating temp , then switched off and left for 5 mins to get an accurate reading ... there is a 5 min countdown on the lvl .. if you get a 10 min then the car is not hot enough and needs to be run for longer.

done it twice today on flat and oil level in the middle both times

The middle is fine , technically there's no reason there should have been a warning message .

i would monitor it for now , if it happens again or more often then i would start with replacing the oil level sensor which is also the oil temp sensor .

Rare for these to fail but as with anything .. its possible .. as it's not a 5 min job to replace these then i recommend as above .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back