Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OBD codes help p0302/ p2305/ p0352

James M-S

Barcelona
Hi all,

Looking to those more experienced than me for confirmation of my interpretation.

about 5 mins into my journey home from work last week I got a CEL and misfire.

All gauges on car were fine, however I noticed coolant was low (visible but under min).

Topped up, resumed journey, car fine for a couple of days. No coolant loss.
Then noticed coolant level depleted again so topped up and replaced expansion tank cap. (Suspected rubber washer failure in the cap).

Misfire and CEL return, so I tried a generic OBD scanner I had forgotten I even had.

Got the following Codes
p0302 (misfire cyl 2)
p2305p (coil circuit problem)
p0352p (coil 2 problem)
p0302p

My spark plugs were changed in March '18, coils inspected OK.

Before I order 6 coils, I'm looking for confirmation I am diagnosing correctly.

Is the coolant cap failure coincidental?
The car is used in the rain, but not on salted roads.
Has loss of coolant caused crack in coil to open up on hot day?
All temps/mpg have been normal.

My initial fears were variocam/variolift solenoid, but that would affect the entire cylinder bank - can anyone confirm I would get different code if the solenoid was gone....

Thanks in advance...

Hi james. If it were my car then I would just replace the coil on number two cylinder and go from there. The only reason to my mind if the coolant loss and misfire were connected would be coolant leaking into the cylinder caused by a cracked head gasket or the cylinder liner is cracked. But as you don't mention any white smoke ( steam ) coming out the exhaust and temperature is good on the dash then, thankfully you can rule that out.

On the coolant bottle you should see coloured coolant in the water trap around the top of the bottle and it will leak through the little hole and drip on the floor. I had this problem last year myself. Otherwise it will be leaking elsewhere. Good luck and don't forget to post any fixes you find :thumb:

I would have money on a coil issue - I would not advocate changing them singly, rather the whole lot.

That's what I'm thinking, may as well do them all whilst in there.

Getting mixed messages as to whether it's possible without removing exhaust...

Typically happened when weather is nice for a few days :frustrated:

Fault code for a single cylinder only so replacing the coil first is the cheapest option and it will probably be that .

Was it at high rpm that you have the misfire ? its only that i've just had something very similar and that was a coil .. or at least the customer has yet to say it wasn't .

As this is a gen 2 car you will need to remove the rear bumper / pu , remove each silencer and then you have access to the coils... you will have to bend the top heat shield to get it out though .. it's a bit of a pain .

These don't tend to need every coil changing like the gen 1 cars as they dont corrode .

EDIT ..

If this was a gen 1 car then the drain for the coolant bottle exits over no.1 coil and it was common for them to corrode because of this.

Thanks DeMort/all :thumb:

(No, misfire was under 3k rpm)

Update:

My cheapo generic OBD reader was worth the money, coil 2 now replaced, others on that bank we're all inspected OK. (Didn't check coils 4/5/6 as the other exhaust would have had to come off).

There is a slight weeping of coolant from the front lower pipe joint. Will just monitor it. It seems the two incidents were unrelated.

To replace the pipe is about £30 part and an hours labour.

Had a full geo and millers nano 10w50 put in too. The car is now waiting for Summer to (eventually) arrive.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back