Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sold my 997 - my thoughts on the 911

Counter Of Beans

I sold my 997 Gen2 C2 PDK Coupe today, having owned it for exactly one year, so I thought I would offer a few observations. Let me just say I'm a car fidget, meaning that I want to try lots of cars whilst the government allow free choice, and whilst I'm (fairly) fit and able. So I rarely keep cars for more than a year.

Right, firstly - this was the best driver's car I've ever had. More than fast enough, even with "only" 340 bhp, fantastic handling (set up by Center Gravity and it had Ohlins Road & Track), and I loved the PDK gearbox too.
Secondly I loved the looks. All 911's look great, and I think the 997 and 993 models are the prettiest of them all.
Thirdly it sounded good - even without the CGR sports exhaust I thought it was a lovely mechanical sound, especially at higher revs.
Finally and fourthly, I thought it was very well built, with a solid, quality feel to the cabin, great paintwork and no squeaks or rattles.

So what's not to like? One big thing and a couple of little issues. The little issues are tyre roar at motorway speeds, a rather firm ride around bumpy urban roads, and the standard ride height is way too high.

But the big negative was this: where I live (Southampton / Portsmouth) you simply cannot stretch a car's legs. Even a lovely road like the A32 is limited to 50 mph. If you do find a good road that isn't policed, it's so busy round here that you very soon end up stuck behind Brian in his Lexus pootling his way back from the garden centre, with a dozen similar cars in a convoy behind Brian so there's no way past.

Put simply: South East Hampshire is so congested that there's no point in having a fast car. And a Porsche 911 isn't a particularly good car to drive slowly. When Mrs COB and I retire to the country, I'll get another 911 - probably a 993 that you can enjoy at sensible speeds.

If it's OK I'll stay on this forum in the meantime - this really is the best motoring forum I've ever been on; very informative and friendly. If anyone's interested, my next car is a C63 AMG Merc estate (W204), simply because they won't let us have 6.2 V8 engines for very much longer. And because it's a great car to drive at modest speeds, and because it sounds EPIC.

Regards to all, Mike.

My neighbour has a C63 Estate for sale currently

Edit.....I'd submitted this post before I'd finished writing. I'll send you've PM

Sad to hear the 997 had to go, but it sounds like you enjoyed the year anyway. Retire to the Dales, the roads around here were built for a 993, or any flavour of 911.

Totally get what you're saying re gridlock. It's exactly like that here further east on the south coast too

Only thing is that reason doesn't really justify going to a C63. Lovely car.... But you're going to have exactly the same problem!

Anyway I had an amg for 2 years and found the amg private lounge is a great forum. Lots of nice people and decent meets to go to. Make sure you sign up once you've got your car and chassis number. You won't be able too without a chassis number

I also have a soft spot for AMGs. I fancy one for Euro trips. Just a bit put off by the limited top speed of most of them. Finding one with the AMG Driver Pack would sort it, but not proving easy.

thanks for sharing your summary. FWIW many years ago, I let an E46 M3 go for many of the same reasons you've cited for moving on from the 997.

Re: the C63 replacement
The lure of a large v8, is a box I'd like to tick while I can aswell. :)

I can appreciate it's likely to be a very different driving experience to the 997. However I suspect it's defining features, namely the power/torque of the v8 will mean you'll have the same issues you've cited for moving on from the 997.
If you can live with an older car, perhaps a C55 or an Audi s4/s6 might be worth trying to see if they have lower limits, & more scope for fun at sensible speeds.
Alternatively if you can't beat em... buy a lexus to waft to the garden centre yourself & an older Porsche for fun :D

Sadly, chaps, you may be right about the C63 suffering from congested roads in the same way the Porsche did. We'll see I suppose. At least I will have scratched the V8 itch (again, I had a Monaro before).

I think in the end it's the roads, rather than the car that's the issue.
With elderly parents living locally we can't move just yet. But in the future I can see myself enjoying the more open roads of Dorset/Somerset/Devon with some flat six power behind me.............

2 wheels are the answer if congestion is a problem, easier to scythe through it to get to the open roads.

did you lose any money on the car. did you sell private or trade in

James M-S said:
2 wheels are the answer if congestion is a problem, easier to scythe through it to get to the open roads.

....... and make sure you carry a organ donors card ...... :wink:

love154 said:
did you lose any money on the car. did you sell private or trade in

The numbers: purchased from a dealer for £37.5k a year ago, sold for £36.5k (the buyer isn't a member on here) in a private sale. BUT I spent quite a bit on the Ohlins, and other upgrades such as a leather console, brake caliper refurb, custom made sports exhaust and retro-fitting Sports Chrono. The trade-in quotes I got were laughable.

I knew at the time I'd never recoup the full value of the upgrades but I don't mind; I really enjoy planning and sourcing upgrades - it's part of the fun for me. And when I've finished.......I get bored and sell up. I do think tasteful upgrades help to sell the car - the buyer really wanted the Ohlins (quite right too, they are brilliant).

James M-S you are right about bikes and in the past I had a CBR1000 Honda, a Moto Guzzi Le Mans and others. But I see far too many bikers hurt or worse because of stupidity on the road (sometimes the biker's fault, often not). I'm not ready for organ donation just yet!

Just curious ......... how many miles did you do in the year you had the car :?:

Interesting musings COB, I hope you stick around on the forum.

I know what you mean about roads round here (south Oxfordshire roads and speed limits probably make the Hants roads feel like the Nurburgring!)

German cars frankly have dreadful suspension. Jaguar, Lotus and Renault/Alpine show that good handling does not have to mean a crashy ride.

T8 said:
Just curious ......... how many miles did you do in the year you had the car :?:

About 3000 Terry. I know, I know it's not many! But I didn't use the car for commuting, and my wife hated the car. Well, she didn't hate it as such, she just squealed "slow down, slow down!" if I ever, er, made progress when she was a passenger.
So you're looking at nice weather + somewhere interesting to go + wife not present + not commuting = not many miles I suppose. I doubt that I'm alone in that. As always, Your Mileage May Vary, literally!

I also had a Monaro once and a VXR8. The lure of the V8 calls. Hope you enjoy the C63.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back