Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cam lock

Lufcrules

Hi

Thanks for adding me.
I have oil leak from chain tensioner on my 2004 3.6 manual.
I might as well do the ims and rms at the same time.
Can anyone tell me can you locate the cam caps to fit locking tool with engine in car as I'm struggling to see them from top off engine.
Also do you need 2 locking tools for my year as the sets I see only have 1 cam lock tool.

Thank you

You only need to lock X1 bank .. it's not actually possible to lock both at the same time as you have to spin the engine over by 360 degrees to get the tool in the opposite side .

Alex,s tool will be fine and cheaper than a complete kit.

Crank pulley on TDC and you insert an 8mm pin to lock that then whichever side of the cams is lined up you then lock that side with the cam tool .

A cut down drill bit will do .

Workshop manual is here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491

This is for the earlier variant but the basic instructions will tell you what you need to do .

deMort said:
You only need to lock X1 bank .. it's not actually possible to lock both at the same time as you have to spin the engine over by 360 degrees to get the tool in the opposite side .

Crank pulley on TDC and you insert an 8mm pin to lock that then whichever side of the cams is lined up you then lock that side with the cam tool .

This is for the earlier variant but the basic instructions will tell you what you need to do .

Not sure if thats aimed for me? Sounds good but cant see how it can work on the 997 mezger motor. The factory or baum copy tools are quite different..!
And I cant find anything uk side to get copied or acquire at a decent cost. Making a tool wouldnt be too bad but would need one to copy to confirm cam timing!

Sorry but no .. it was for the OP .. we both answered at the same time.

The Turbo .. both 996 and 997 have a totally different tool setup from memory .. its a plate you fit with square locking plates that fit into it .

Very expensive tool again from memory ..

I'll do a search and see what i can find .

deMort said:
Sorry but no .. it was for the OP .. we both answered at the same time.

The Turbo .. both 996 and 997 have a totally different tool setup from memory .. its a plate you fit with square locking plates that fit into it .

Very expensive tool again from memory ..

I'll do a search and see what i can find .

Thanks demort..! yes Its totally different, have lots of pictures but no tool. A fortune from an opc, and £1300 ish for a copy from the usa. And its a very basic tool to be honest, might end up having to take my engine to a good indy for cam timing If I need it. Or pay £1300, get some made and recoup the cost by selling them!!

Yup .. i did some digging as its been many years since ive had to set the timing on one of these .. post here shows the tool ..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/254712-anyone-have-p-tool-9661-a.html

Alex could make one i have no doubt but without knowing the angles then he has no chance .. imho he would have to buy one , measure and then machine .. trouble is .. for what they are its dam expensive .

Pretty sure the 996 and 997 are the same tools ... also need a DTI gauge .

deMort said:
Yup .. i did some digging as its been many years since ive had to set the timing on one of these .. post here shows the tool ..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/254712-anyone-have-p-tool-9661-a.html

Alex could make one i have no doubt but without knowing the angles then he has no chance .. imho he would have to buy one , measure and then machine .. trouble is .. for what they are its dam expensive .

Pretty sure the 996 and 997 are the same tools ... also need a DTI gauge .

Yes, think they are the same. Anyone would think they were made of diamonds they are so tricky to get hold of. If i do have to buy one I would be interested if alex wanted to do a run.. probably a good few owners who would like one for sensible money. Im
Surprised no one has made any up, surely a gap in the market

update/ so as to not take the thread off track, I wont post any further on this. Suffice to say, its great that someone is making them available in such high quality for the 996

I have to admit i was thinking the same thing ..

There's not going to be a huge market for them though .. perhaps a PM to Alex is in order and see what he thinks .. i have no idea the actual costs of making this item so it might not be feasible but he will be able to say .

For the op .. Sorry for the slight hijack .. my answer is a few posts back .

deMort said:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back