Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear suspension noise conundrum

glenwells

Monza
Hi All,

I know and appreciate that internet diagnosis is more an art than a science but would appreciate any considerations.

Car is 09 997.2 3.8S just 50K and not driven hard in my 11K miles of ownership.

Rear suspension has started making a light knock rattle more prominent on the left side.

Easiest recreation of the noise is low speed less at 20mph coming off motorway down to roundabout and on brakes (less weight on the rear).
As go over the slightly raised yellow lines across the lanes the back suspension chatters/ light knock on each line.

At speed or corners behaves as it should/ would expect.

A local garage suggested the rear drop links and anti roll bar bushes first suspects. These have been done and it is still the same.

I also checked wheel for play - took rubber mallet to coffin arms, wishbones just to check - nothing obvious.
Confirmed no leaks from shock absorbers.

Could be suspect but would be bit miffed if they only last 50K. Last 911 went to 70K+ on same ones when I sold it and got no comebacks.

Reluctant to take to garage for another 'guess' and hand back in pocket.

Has anyone had similar experience and/or an opinion on usual suspects?

We have a lot of HGV traffic working on the several hundred house building developments where I live and they have smashed down the drains on the side of the road I have to drive along. It all had to be repaired, eventually.

Having to drive over them may have contributed to the issue?

Can you check a shock absorber (not leaking) is ok or not whilst on the car?

Grateful for any input.

Will spend what it takes to sort just wary of another garage saying its your shocks mate and several hundred quid later it isn't.

Regards
Glen

If there's any chance you can do a sound clip of the noise and post it here or send to me and ill post it then it will help a lot .

The garage thought it was link rods or roll bar bushes .. i'm going to base my hunch here on that alone... it can be many other things but this type of noise is similar to what i think .

i would assume they road tested the car to come up with these items .. if not and they just guessed then find another garage lol .

Ok .. based on the above .. Diagonal arms make a Very similar noise to link rods AND anti roll bar bushes .

Your mileage is about the right place for these to start knocking .

Difference between all three ...

Roll bar bushes .. very loud and heavy Bonk bonk bonk bonk .. continual when you hit a bump ... at this age and mileage it's never going to be them .

link rod .. bonk .... up .. bonk .. down .

Diagonal arms .. bonk bonk .... bonk bonk bonk .. very similar to roll bar bushes but not as loud or as prolonged .

Downside .. you have 4 of these .. it can be a little tricky deciding if front or rear .

I assume you are nowhere near Brighton as a quick drive tells me a lot with noises .

Get some chassis ears on it and narrow down the source of the noise.

Yes, you can check a dampers performance whilst on the car.

I went to a CenterGravity open day and they have a vibration plate that checks damper response across a range of frequencies.

Don't know the name of the equipment though.

I have just had a refresh on my C4s suspension at exactly the same mileage and Chris at CoG ended up replacing everything. The only good bits were the dampers which I replaced anyway as a "while we are in there" job. Huge bill but new car.
As well as the ARBs and links, the top mounts and diagonal arms were shot.
He was surprised at the state of the suspension. It is my wife's and she drives carefully but 10 years on some crappy rural roads, unyielding suspension and 305 section rear tyres had taken their toll.

Alternate suggestion. Broken rear spring. I had mine in and out of OPC 3 times before they found it. there is a cup that the base of the spring goes into that catches the small broken spring part that makes a dull metallic tap rattling around in it.

Hope you find the cause. Mine was driving me nuts :frustrated:

Yep sure drive me nuts too

drMark - Disappointed to hear the suspension on the C4S was so bad at what I would call low mileage.

DeMort - thanks for advice although I am in the South but it is West not East and nice as Brighton is its quite a jaunt. I will do a sound clip when back that way next week.

The front coffin arms were replaced on my last 911 a 996.2 3.6 that was all that went in all the time I had it and it had much higher mileage than this car. Are these later mark cars given cheaper suspension components?

I will look to take it to a different garage for another check over when time allows.

Happy to replace whatever it needs but prefer not to do so by process of elimination as some have had to do.

ta
Glen

Re: Yep sure drive me nuts too

glenwells said:
drMark - Disappointed to hear the suspension on the C4S was so bad at what I would call low mileage.

DeMort - thanks for advice although I am in the South but it is West not East and nice as Brighton is its quite a jaunt. I will do a sound clip when back that way next week.

The front coffin arms were replaced on my last 911 a 996.2 3.6 that was all that went in all the time I had it and it had much higher mileage than this car. Are these later mark cars given cheaper suspension components?

I will look to take it to a different garage for another check over when time allows.

Happy to replace whatever it needs but prefer not to do so by process of elimination as some have had to do.

ta
Glen

It drove well, just lots of noises. Depends how fussy you are. We did ours before a long European tour inc mountain passes and wanted it right. Could have left it for another 20k I am sure. Quality is good, but the components get a pasting in these cars.

Its fixed and thanks to suggestions

I tried twice to record the suspension noise on my phone but it didn't really work too well.

I took a small leap of faith after reading a lot of info on forums. Also from the fact that my last 911 had an eerily similar noise from the front suspension on the same low speed conditions.

I bought replacement rear coffin and wishbone control arms.
Did the wishbones as well as they have to be half undone anyhow.

Had my local garage replace them for me as my arm still a bit duff.
Garage looked at other components as best they could and all seemed ok.

to quote Life of Brian 'Your cured mate'.

Happy days no 'annoying' rattly knocking.

Now if only I could stop that slight rattle from inside the drivers door!!

Ta muchly.
Glen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back