Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

scratching head...

cvega

Nurburgring
picked up car after MOT and 5 minutes down the road car displayed "coolant low" warning... all the heaters inside set to HI
Pulled ver, and indeed below "min" in the tank.. drove home (slowly) and it wasn't even close to overheating just the warning flashing.. going to top her up later.. but how come it came up now ? no obvious leaks

second issue..

had new toyosport manifolds fitted... but the left side is clicking like a old clock!!! maybe have to tighten bolts? (car has new backboxes and new manifolds/headers, old cats)

If it's not coolant leaking out, I'd be suspecting air in the system has moved around.

I had exactly this a couple of weeks ago and only when the leak became a torrent did it become obvious a radiator had sprung a leak. It had been gently weeping for weeks with me topping it up now and then before it decided to let go during a drive to Brussels from Fleet.

I would wait for a while for the exhaust to settle and see if the clicking goes away by itself.

hmm.. interesting... :sad: i have new rads fitted a few months ago and did a bumper wire mesh in vents too... will keep an eye out for leaks, last time it was a drip from the front, quite obvious.. airlock might be a suspect... sounds painful to remove :/

Dumb question
The metal tab/lever on top of expansion tank was in UP position, what should it be when normal running ?

Metal tab should be in the down or folded position , you only raise it when trying to bleed air out of the system.

Do you have a manual car or a tip ?

An airlock after a coolant drop can take upto 100 miles to clear .. i've been caught out by this before .

Manual car. I only realised the metal tab was up when I got home after 40 miles. Weirdd thing is that coolant was fine before MOT. Do MOT testers try to warm up th car faster or something ?

deMort said:
On an mot they rev the car at 3k to do a fast emissions test .. if it wont pass then its often revised higher to " warm " it up .

Which is more or less the procedure for blowing air locks out of the system with the tab in the up position. I'd top up the water, put the tab down and keep an eye on things.

Thanks. I get it... just don't get why they would mess with cooling system during MOT unless i'm not being told something.

I can't see the MoT people touching anything. They won't touch seatbelts when I fit a car seat, for example. It's just not the way they are meant to work.

I've had my explanation. It's unrelated to the MOT. Coolant hose was disconnected to get to the exhaust header bolt when it needed to be drilled out. All is well.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back