Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear exhaust clamps

IanG1

Monza
Well I suppose I've done a ranking petrol before the next joy of of running a 21 year old 996. During a spirited drive I thought my exhaust note was a little more fruity when I got home. Managed five minutes to have a look tonight and my rusty on the to do list exhaust clamps has a hole blown in it at the rear. Luck would have it I bought a complete set last year but never got around to it over the winter. Any pointers on fitting them? I presume the back boxes need to come off so the clamp can slide over the cat out pipe? Any links to any how to appreciated or general advice etc before I take the rear bumper off.

Ian, should you get it apart and find as in most cases that theres a shim between the tail pipe and the tips and its broken in 3 pieces , these shims can only be obtained with a new set of tips at silly money they are not avail separately . however a smart guy on ebay has come to the rescue .
pricey yes a bit, but much less than new tips , unless your a DIYer and can knock something up with some tube. .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Bit confused, it's the clamp between the cat and the rear box that has failed? Not the rear box to tail pipe? Wasn't planning on spliting that joint if I can avoid it?

IanG1 said:
Bit confused, it's the clamp between the cat and the rear box that has failed? Not the rear box to tail pipe? Wasn't planning on spliting that joint if I can avoid it?

Ah ok mate , good if you dont have to split that bit :thumb: :thumb:

A picture of the fault would help here :)

Flange studs .. the x3 bolts with the gasket in between can rot out .. oxy acc and you burn them out to replace .. about 2 hrs .

The sleeve clamp , bolts rot out and detach .. the bolts can be replaced on their own .. these are the only items that will cause excessive leaks .

It's the sleeve clamp that has a hole in the rear of it?

I'll get a pic tomorrow and post it.

IanG1 said:

I'm sure I got a pair of those with a Dansk fitting kit from ECP earlier this year.
Using one of their numerous codes it came to around £40 for a box full of clamps, bolts and gaskets and included the clamps you linked to above.

I'm sure my Indy appreciated it as it meant all the old stuff could be simply cut out and dumped making for a quick, clean job.

ETA:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...99b929ebdeaaa8e5a298c8b7353718c079f088&000536

Just for anyone wanting to know, those dansk clamps are on car parts for less for £27 odd before discount.

I picked up a full set as you mention for £26 last year. I was after any hints for installing them.

Ian

Having just replaced the whole of my exhaust system, i suggest that the easiest way is to jack the car up and put on axle stands, remove the rear wheels, remove thr rear bumper, remove the heat shield and silencer on the side that needs replacing, loosen the clamp between the silencer and cat and tap it one way or the other to allow the silencer to be released. For the silencer, unless its just been fitted and has new bolts and sleeves holding it the the mounting bracket, i would take it off by just removing the 3 off 13mm nuts holding the bracket to the cage mounted on the engine. Fiddly but not that difficult.

Refitting is the reverse but be prepared to replace nuts and bolts etc

There are some good videos on u tube

Good look

Managed to change out my clamps without removing the rear boxes. Took the bumper and heat shields off then cut off what was left if the very corroded clamps. With a bit of persuasion I managed to prize out the rear boxes to get the clamps in and then pulled back into position. Tightened the clamp bolts and refitted everything and all sorted.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back