Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Indicator Relay

nikos525

Monza
Can anyone advise if the 997.1 has a 3 prong indicator relay?

I was trying to find some info as to where it is & I can only assume it is somewhere behind the fuse box?
I tried pulling on the fuse unit - and the carpeted bit and it seems to be just clipped in, I didn't pull to hard just in case it's not :?:

So is the relay behind there & is it a case of just pulling the fuse box out?

Cheers
Nik

As far as i'm aware there is no relay .. there is a front and rear control unit which each receive a can bus message from the steering control unit about the indicators .. a relay is not needed ..

What is your actual fault ?

Hi deMort, I've upgraded to a gen II turbo front drl's from a gen I. Instead of splicing into the harness and putting some resistors in I had read that 996 owners had changed the indicator relay - I wasn't sure if the 997 had a relay as well, hence the question.

This is the fault: Exterior indication all normal regarding speed of the flash.
on the dash I'm getting a fast blink, like a bulb is out and a check front left/right indicator.

I know I can change the front light control module but I haven't found a used one at a "normal" price in quite a while, so was thinking before I splice into the harness with resistors I would give the LED designed relay a go first!

Can you also please advise where I would find the module in the frunk just so I don't have to tear everything apart.

Thank you! :thumb:

Hi Nik

Depending on age of your car you can use PIWIS to change coding to led lights.
That's worth a shot first I think. Might only be later gen 1 though.
Sure I've seen a thread on it here somewhere.

The 996 and 997 are very different cars im afraid .

There is a front end control unit which pretty much does as it says and controls the lights at the front among other things , thats located o/s/f in the bonnet area and under the plastic panel .

The Rear end control unit is under the passenger seat .

I'm afraid i have no idea on mods like this but the fault is the resistance from the bulbs is wrong so the car thinks they have blown and flashes faster to alert you .

I think as Jonno has already said it needs coding to led as this is the only way i can see to fix this .

It's been done many times before though so i think someone else needs to jump in :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried coding it with PIWIS with no joy.

I see that I will just have to go ahead and get the front control unit as I don't want to start splicing into the loom.

Looks like I will be taking my frunk apart 8)

Replacing the front end control unit won't fix this .. if you put the original bulbs back in i take it you don't have a problem .. there for its not the control unit that's at fault but the bulbs / light unit you have fitted that's causing the issue .

Perhaps a search of the forums to find posts of people that have changed these items and how they overcame this fault .. im afraid im a standard parts guy and don't really know modifications and how to fix them .

deMort said:
Replacing the front end control unit won't fix this .. if you put the original bulbs back in i take it you don't have a problem .. there for its not the control unit that's at fault but the bulbs / light unit you have fitted that's causing the issue .

Perhaps a search of the forums to find posts of people that have changed these items and how they overcame this fault .. im afraid im a standard parts guy and don't really know modifications and how to fix them .

I haven't tried re-fitting the old bulbs :?: As far as I've read it seems that everyone changes the front control unit, sometimes a pin swap is required other times not.
Thanks for all your help :thumb:

Aghh ok .. i'm afraid i don't do modifications so struggle to answer .. imho replacing a front CU with another wont help as its the same but will need coding with a tester so i'm obviously missing something here ..

i tried anyways :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back