Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

10 Year Minor Service...

Swampy

Well the car was collected this morning for its 10 Year Minor Service... I was quoted £832 for this.
Now I wonder what else they will find that needs doing :dont know:

Swamps :)

Isn't a minor £480?

This is what i have been quoted...
Sorry £810 not £832 :hand:

Attachments

• 2_163.png
    2_163.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 3,021
  • 1_859.png
    1_859.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 3,021
Just found this on the net and the prices don't tally up, but hey ho, no surprise there... :dont know:
My car is a November 2009 Carrera 4s

Attachments

• 3_515.png
    3_515.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 3,011
They don't all take part in the fixed priced servicing scheme. Surprised they aren't doing a brake fluid change.

If you want to avail yourself of fixed price servicing, you need to (a) find an OPC that takes part in this scheme and (b) book it in and confirm.in writing that you are asking for fixed price service.

Those prices are not fixed price scheme.

I've answered your email about this which as i said you are free to post here if you wish .

From the above though .. can i just say .. Holy Crap !

from our website , the costs for this service ..

997 (Gen 2)

(2008 - 2012)

20,000 miles - £225.00

40,000 miles - £320.00

60,000 miles with spark plugs- £595.00

Brake Fluid change - £65.00

These are all plus vat , no idea why we along with every indy do it without vat but that's what it is .

Airbag check we tend to do on a major but can do on a minor .. not really an extra cost as its a pretty quick check , inspection of those other items is standard so done regardless ... as these get older then its standard .

TPM .. again done as standard and not charged for .. you are looking at the battery value on a tester .. you have the tester connected and are checking for faults regardless .

Belt check .. if they actually did it requires belt removed and inspected for signs of cracking .. a separate charge .. hopefully they checked the tensioner whilst at it .. these are known to seize which is something i've banged on about on here for a while now .

Brake fluid change is every 2 years .

i try not to be too much anti OPC , i spent many a year at one .. but i do tend to bang my head against a wall when i see this sort of charging let alone what i discussed with you .

Frustrated .

You could literally drive to my garage , stay overnight in a hotel and still come out saving money ... that's not right .

I'll just add .. OPC guys are far better than me , more experience and so i bow to their knowledge .

£810 :eek: That is just daylight robbery for a minor service, how that can be justified is beyond me :dont know:

My car (997.2) is at Porsche Tonbridge in Kent at the mo having the full 12yr/120,000 service. They operate the new fixed price service scheme and I found it to be cheaper than all the local independents when I rang around for pricing, with the exception of LaRose in Sevenoaks. They were about 150 quid cheaper but when you factor in the hallowed OPC stamp and brand new Macan (versus a VW Lupo..), well it was worth it in my eyes.

I quizzed them (all innocent like) about the tensioner and got a comprehensive answer. They did a video walkthrough and all fine. Except (no prizes) for the.... coolant pipes! All need re-doing. I'll get some prices and get that done pretty sharpish.

Well mixed feelings with regards to the pricing of this one then !!! The service price was what I thought 'the norm' seems not to be, but being a new Porsche owner I just went along with the flow.... I did speak to DeMort earlier with regards to yet another 'health check' and that opened up yet another can of worms.
Personally speaking I'm deff not no lottery winner with a few million £ in the bank, but I can handle a 'unexpected bill' when they come along, but honestly what they have pulled out of the hat goes beyond belief.
My main intention was to keep the 'full Porsche service history' on the car but as I keep getting their silly little videos then I'm going to an Indi from now on.
A few months ago it was a track rod end needing replacing, ok change them both I said, £1500 lighter they changed the ends, arms and gaiters, now to give you an example the exhaust tips are leaking, yes tips, where they join the exhaust and I have been quoted £2065.44 for them and all the (rusted) brackets.
Its bed time for me now, not sure if I can but will try, shall fill you in with the rest tomorrow...

Swamps :(

Below I have copied & pasted the responce that I got from our Top Man member deMort,
Basically the car went in and as expected they went over it with a magnifying glass and came up with a host of issues, some I expected, front tyres being 6 yrs old and front discs/pads close to the limit 80% worn, the funny thing about the discs is when it went to them in March is was recommended that the pads to be 50% worn and the discs to be changed as an advisory, if I've done 200 miles since then I would be surprised
:dont know:

Some goods new tho, rear suspension arm bushes was flagged up at a cost of £1476 and these are being done under warranty :)
deMort message below will highlight some others...

Hello young man !

I do have to chuckle when i see these video reports ... not a single under tray removed to check the brake pipes that run the entire length of the car i see .

I'm not laughing at the cost of the items they want to replace though .. its a total joke ..

first off get any work needed done at an indy !!!

ok the list ..

front brake pipe .. just wax oil ..

Rear brake pipe .. a bit worse , I've not seen them fail there so you have a choice either leave and wax oil or have them replaced .. I've seen worse though that again were not leaking .

Cracking on the front tyres is normal at that age .. you need to use the car more often !

I would leave until needed but no more than a year or 2 .

The sensors he keeps on about .. its for the head light levelling system .. i would just wax oil and leave till they break but up to you there .. car wont crash and burn if either of them breaks .. which again I've not seen on one of these yet !

Exhaust leaks at the tail pipe .. and er .. so what .. that's the bit the gases exit from .. it makes no difference what so ever .

If they replace those clamps then they will leak from new so totally pointless and its a silencer removal job to change them .. just for info , when the car is due plugs they will be changed then , we have to cut them off to remove the silencers .

Flange studs .. I've seen worse but they will need doing sooner or later so i would suggest book it in at an Indy .. no rush and have these only changed ..

Its about 2 hrs labour plus parts .. my place and that's about .. hmm .. say £250 .

What was the problem with the window fault ?

If one touch inop then it needs a new switch .. warranty .. if the window on one touch rolls back when halfway up it needs a new motor .. also warranty .

I'll just add that not every OPC is " bad " .. Tonbridge is one i will always recommend .. always worth saying Precision Porsche said you were the best .

service advisors probably won't have a clue but the parts manager and his guys know us well .. respect each way there i feel .

I still feel that the porsche warranty is the best there is and i always recommend it .. nothing to stop you getting it serviced at OPC but using an Indy with genuine parts to fix anything that's actually broken .

I think in your case though a different OPC is needed if possible ... 1 mistake can happen .. you have had x2 bad encounters now though and that's 1 too many imho .

Ill also add .. to be fair .. Indys do make mistakes or get things wrong at times .. my garage is not perfect but come a customer complaint we do our utmost to rectifie and make the customer happy again .

Complaining or making the garage aware of your issues is always a good start .. might not get anywhere but if they don't know they cant help or , and more importantly ... Change .

BTW .. if you post a link to the video then i expect many people here will look at it .. OPC monitors the activity on these so when they get a lot of views they dont know whats going on and start worrying :D

Evening deMort, I did consider posting the Health Check video but decided against it as it has the bit that gives authority to commence with the work, I really don't want someone to do that for me :floor:

I mentioned to them that the os rear light was replaced under warranty in 2017 so could the ns one be done as well (it was reported to having minor cracks) and I was shocked by the reply which was
"it will have to get a little worse to replace under warranty" so it would be fine for me to shell out £717.24 for its replacement but it can wait until it gets worse for them
:eh!:

I was going to buy the disc's/pads myself and replace but not sure where as I would prefer to buy genuine Porsche items just in case I do take out the Porsche warranty again at a later date, does Porsche Shop sell genuine parts or would you recommend someone different?

Also I have had a look for the N1 rated tyres on the usual sights and none seem to offer Michelin (that's what's fitted) im guessing that its better to keep to all the same make. All I have found is the N4 Pilot Sport 4 s. i'm pretty sure I read that they only allow N1's ??

Swamps, sounds like you've had a bad experience (or two!). It's probably a bit far for you, what with being NW London based, but Tonbridge OPC have been good for me. As deMort says, they seem like a good bunch. Gave me a 20% discount apparently as my gen 2 is a classic.. Quoted £1020.00 incl. to replace all six coolant pipes. They also did the 12yr/120k service with all fluids and belt for £1125.00. I also got a hideous 2019 acid green Macan to bomb around in. So hideous some random lady asked why such a lovely car was painted such an offensive colour. I couldn't argue; she was correct!

I think you should phone around some more OPC garages and see what sort of rates they are charging (the fixed price service menu would be a start), see if they'll sort you a bit of discount for you old 911 and maybe quiz them on a few of deMort's favourites such as the ol' belt pulley tensioner. Maybe do a thread and see what other OPC forum members recommend.

Also check this chap out (can't remember his name!) for your tyres. He'll sort you out up in town as he's mobile. Did mine when in Muswell Hill on a job couple of months back. I paid £860.00 for 4 new Michelin pilot sport N2.

Door 2 Door Tyres +44 7801 535681. I wouldn't describe them as a slick set-up (no shiny van or slick graphics) but they definitely know what they are doing and won't knacker your wheels.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back