Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First impressions

weejimmy

Spa-Francorchamps
Got a 992 C4s as a loaner whilst my 991.2 C4 GTS has some rattles sorted.

My first impression is that the interior isnt the step forwards I had hoped it was in terms of feel/quality. I think some of the tactile bits such as the switches are a step backwards. For example the window switches and the mirror controls. They just feel plasticky too me. Plus they don't fall so readily to hand.

As others have said the outer two dials are also completely impossible to see. Not sure I like the fact they are toed in either.

Probably not helped by the colour choices which are not to my taste at all!

Exterior Colour: Aventurine Green Metallic
Interior Colour: Agave Green Leather

I thought the 991.2 mode selector dial was a bit naff, seems worse on the 992 to me. Not sure I like the steering wheel design as much either!

No doubt I'll feel differently when I get back into mine (as in it will feel like a step backwards), but I'm not feeling it the moment!

It also refused to make much in the way of noise. Supposedly has a sports exhaust but I really couldn't tell...

:dont know:

Rides well though and I think there is less cabin noise. Will play some more as have it for 48 hours. First impressions never last!

Went for a lunch break play. Massive bottom end shove. Noticeably more immediate than my GTS.

Missing the PDK level at the moment. I hadn't realised I rest my hand on it a fair bit. One less tactile spot for interacting with the car. I ill advisedly tried to shift down using it and went into neutral at 70 on the M1. :oops:

I've no idea how the keyless is supposed to work - the service advisor just said "Its keyless, they all are". I assumed that meant it had keyless access. Maybe not. Maybe it's keyless starting?

I miss the 991 door pockets and cup holders. Small fry, but they worked well so why ditch them? Cost savings? Seems a shame to have lost them!

Maybe its just the trim on this one, but the piano black parts feel quite low rent to me and are quite plasticy to touch. If had a more glass like finish it would be nice. Feels more like the front panel on my Dell PC!

I do like exterior looks though. Kindof back to front from what I expected!

I like that you can assign one of the configurable keys to turn off the central PCM display. Bit of a hobby horse of mine across e92 M3's and the 991's as I like being able to turn off the distraction of the central screens and whilst you can do it in a 991 its a fair old faff.

I had a test drive last week, in a C2S optioned up to be worth £118k. :eek:

Colour does make a difference to first impressions. imo Black does not suit the 992. Every other I've seen it in does.

The keyless thing is strange. You get a fob thing but don't have to do anything with it except carry it. The starter looks like a key in the ignition but isn't. It doesn't come out.

The instrument and dash layout is very typically 2019 and I'm sure will be exactly what anyone buying a new car in 2019 will expect. To an 'analogue man' like me it's a step too far. I'm a big fan of the 991 and certainly prefer that interior.

On the go the first thing that grabbed me was just how easy it is to drive. I could have been in any current model car. Dimensions wise it doesn't seem any different to a 997, or a 718/981 for that matter, although inside it's obviously roomier.

When pushing on it quickly lets you know that it's a very quick car and power delivery is so linear that you really wouldn't think it had turbochargers. Handling is solid and secure and I'd hate to think how fast you'd need to be going to get it out of shape. That said, my heavy right foot is used to flooring the throttle on a 4wd 911 so I did get the car fish-tailing a little under hard acceleration from very low speed.

Anyone that's ever driven a 991 and especially a 991.2 will feel quickly at home and might feel it's a step-up but personally I'd have either one of the earlier cars - especially when you consider the price differential.

Many enthusiasts say that Porsche hit the sweet-spot for water-cooled Carreras with the 997 generation. I can see their reasoning but personally I'd still prefer a 991.1.

I see the 992 as the Porsche for the generation that want a 911 over a Huracan, 540C, Portofino or R8.

In summary a great car, but not one I'd ever want to own.

T8 said:

Colour does make a difference to first impressions. imo Black does not suit the 992. Every other I've seen it in does.

The keyless thing is strange. You get a fob thing but don't have to do anything with it except carry it. The starter looks like a key in the ignition but isn't. It doesn't come out.

The instrument and dash layout is very typically 2019 and I'm sure will be exactly what anyone buying a new car in 2019 will expect. To an 'analogue man' like me it's a step too far. I'm a big fan of the 991 and certainly prefer that interior.

On the go the first thing that grabbed me was just how easy it is to drive. I could have been in any current model car. Dimensions wise it doesn't seem any different to a 997, or a 718/981 for that matter, although inside it's obviously roomier.

When pushing on it quickly lets you know that it's a very quick car and power delivery is so linear that you really wouldn't think it had turbochargers. Handling is solid and secure and I'd hate to think how fast you'd need to be going to get it out of shape. That said, my heavy right foot is used to flooring the throttle on a 4wd 911 so I did get the car fish-tailing a little under hard acceleration from very low speed.

Anyone that's ever driven a 991 and especially a 991.2 will feel quickly at home and might feel it's a step-up but personally I'd have either one of the earlier cars - especially when you consider the price differential.

Many enthusiasts say that Porsche hit the sweet-spot for water-cooled Carreras with the 997 generation. I can see their reasoning but personally I'd still prefer a 991.1.

I see the 992 as the Porsche for the generation that want a 911 over a Huracan, 540C, Portofino or R8.

Genuinely and without for once trying to drive up 991.1 prices, there seems a fair swing of 997.2 owners thinking of or actually now moving to a 991.1. That didn't seem to happen when the 991 first came out, I personally hated it.

Most of these probably wouldn't be looking at the 991.2 and certainly not a 992, and after seeing the recent sound comparison between NA and the 992, you simply can't polish a turd in the sound dept. and as brilliant as the 992 is, for me the sound ends any interest :nooo:

There's also the cost comparison between say an average 992 and the best car Porsche ever made (the 991 GT3) I know where my cash would go...

T8 said:

At 118 k I'd be looking at the 991 sweet spot and holy grail, the GT3!

Spent some more time in it tonight. I really can't figure it out. It feels like a supersized 911. Bigger and chunkier all over. It goes like stink and does everything you could ask, but I think some of the delicacy has been lost. In a lot of ways it reminds me more of a current Macan/Panamera than a 911.

I suspect I'm not saying anything every generation of 911 owner hasn't said as the next in line rocks up.

Not sure I 'want' one as things stand. Then again, it took the GTS to make me take the plunge on a 991.2. The Carrera and Carrera S just didn't do it for me.

The 992 is easier to live with and more competent, but is it better?

:dont know:

I think I like the av green. Do you by any chance have any photos of what it looks like in the flesh?

Its growing on me. Still feels very chunky Vs a 991, but it does drive well. Absolutely mullers its way down the road!

GYLM3646.JPG

DLGX5001.JPG

I do think the back end is very showy though and quite bloated, but I could learn to love it.

The interior less so! :nooo:

Is it possible to swap out the piano black plastic surfaces. I really dont like those! Or the mid grey sections. They just looks (and feel) cheap.

IMG_1384.JPG

Thanks for the photos.

Can't say I'm bothered about the interior but I still really like that exterior colour.

Day 3 - wasn't expecting an extended 3 day test but the C4 GTS is still not sorted and is also having its first service whilst its there.

OMG - it really is stupidly quick. I test drove an R8 V10 Plus a when I got my GTS and this feels much the same - like it wants to rip the face off the road.

Feels very brawny Vs a 991 to me. Sits squat on the road and growls even when standing still. It's how I would imagine a 350/370Z to feel - not that I've ever drive one.

Its surprising how much bigger the extra 45 mm width on the front feels. Kindof like I am a teenager driving my dads car. I'm not BTW, I am 50 with the grey hair to prove it! It isnt really any harder to place on the road, but it just feels broad. You can also sit very, very low in it which heightens the feeling of being a little kid in a grown ups car. Never felt that in the 991 ... I am 5-11 btw so not really vertically challenged!

I could definitely own one. I still feel like the trim is a bit low rent though. But I am getting used to the new locations of the controls. The PDK selector is a lot easier to use when maneuvering, but I miss the tactile feel of the old one on the move - especially the alcantara from the GTS.

Very interesting views on here. Also interesting to go back and read the comments on the 991 when it came out.

As enthusiasts a lot don't like change (I'm now in that group!). Think the 992 will find love as they get into gen2 after about 6/7 years and people start to get an itch to change.

Anyone that has not driven a Turbo 911 will love them as an option to change to...and after a couple of years may go through the wobble about the noise being different/quieter and change back to n/a.

I cannot help but think the problem with the current cars from most sports car manufacturers is that they are having to go turbo for emissions, which makes them laugh out loud fast, but right at the time we see more and more speed regulation coming in to stop the ability.

I'm finding the exact same feedback from enthusiasts for other sports car brands that go along the same lines on the noise being missing from the equation. :dont know:

Having done the Stuttgart factory tour this year, seeing the massive shiny new building for the taycan etc vs the current quaint if a little rough around the edges building/production line that the boxters/cayman/911 are produced on. It's clear where focus is. My hope is that the quaint building gets some investment with 911 etc being produced as small number custom build cars (ie if you want a gt3 engine in a cabriolet you can)...

I did ask the tour guide if they can add an option for the electric cars to make the Star Wars tie fighter noise matched to the speed of the car as that's the perfect way to get them adopted quickly and keep making enough money for the enthusiasts boxster/cayman/911 to survive with noisy smelly petrol engines...cos we luv em.

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back