Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Transmission rattle? Now with added blue smoke!

sackerley

Monza
DeMort thanks for the quick response.

Is that a big job?

The clutch was replaced at the end of 2015 and done 10k since then.

It shouldn't really be rattling at that milage since a clutch replacement .. but i'm afraid i have nothing else to offer .

Diagnosing here and in real life are a little different i'm afraid .

i would suggest a garage to have a listen perhaps .

Release bearing change is a gearbox out job so circa 5 hrs .

Thanks DeMort. Totally appreciate it's difficult to diagnose on here.

If it's any help I've noted that it happens when warm, from cold there's no rattle. Also turning off the AC it's struggling to tick over. It keeps running but feels like it may cut out. Switch the AC back on and it ticks over fine.

:dont know:

Ok .. that's a different fault .

its not ticking over without a/c on .. a.c will raise the revs . if not you will get gearbox chatter with the tickover too low .

I'm thinking idle control and if its an early car then there is a separate idle stabiliser on the side of the throttle that can cause issues .

perhaps remove , clean it out and see how it goes .

Attachments

• pic02_117.jpg
    pic02_117.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 3,254
Great! I'll give that a try tomorrow night and see how it goes.

Your input is very much appreciated :thumb:

Ok... update.

I've taken off the throttle body and the idle controller and give the them a good clean. Although there wasn't much to clean. The rattle is still there when I've re fitted them.

There's now also a loud whine giving a few revs, then when letting go of the throttle the rattle comes back. None of this happens when cold.

Again the rattle stops when the clutch is pressed. The whine just fades when the revs are dropped.

I've uploaded another video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/en46bzbodcpwmhz/IMG_1196.MOV?dl=0

Any ideas?!

My first thought was gearbox input shaft bearings but having just had a listen to the video that sound more like non-bearing noise like the release arm is loose or something else is loose.

Are you certain it's coming from the gearbox end of the engine and not the rear?

To be honest I'm not sure where it's coming from, it's tricky to pick out an exact location.

The rattle feels gear box related. It's the same rattle you get when the engine shuts down. The whine I've no idea! That's just come on. I'm assuming both are related.

If you take the airbox out and remove the accessory drive belt then run the engine, you'll be able to then rule in or out anything that the belt drives on the rear of the engine. Obviously don't run it for more than a couple of minutes in this condition.

Ok, I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks for your help. :thumb:

I didn't get chance to try the belt.

On a quick start up the car kicked out a lot of blue smoke. It's never done that before. It's settled until being rev'd and then more blue smoke.

The video is from the third start up. I've since tried again and let it run until warm. Giving some throttle it still kicks out a lot of blue smoke.

It's going from bad to worse! Again, any ideas? Is it all related?!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sq9hul7umrn55vw/IMG_1199.TRIM.MOV?dl=0

Can i humbly suggest you get the car recovered to a garage for them to have a look ..

My thoughts ..

This started as a rattle , possibly clutch / release arm .. it seems to be getting worse so is some thing coming loose perhaps .

You now have a whine which to me sounds pretty bad .. possible its the clutch release bearing , it does sound bearing related to me .

You also now have smoke and from the colour its oil .

I could list them as 3 separate items .. aos , a bearing possibly idler or release bearing and maybe a problem with the release arm or indeed the bearing again breaking up .

I could also list them as x1 item inside the engine and its pretty bad .

Basically as per my first comment .. i would rather err on the side of caution here .. dont drive it and get a garage to look at it .

It may well be separate items and its not that bad .. or it may not .. i can only give advice on what i read and hear .. and i'm not liking those noises atm .

I hear you and totally agree. It's escalated very quickly from a rattle to the whine then smoke.

I'm going to get in touch with my Indy, possibly give Hartech a call too and get it looked at.

If it's engine related what would you suspect?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back