Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lazy starter/squeak

MattCPR

Car seems very lazy to start, almost like a low battery but I know this skin the case because I've just changed it.

Also it occasionally makes the horrible squeak that a lot of VAG cars make (solenoid not retracting quick enough)

Time for a new starter? Or could it possibly be a loose earth strap? ( not the squeak)

check the voltage levels in the 1st instance

lazy starter

Its more than likely the battery voltage cable from the battery to the starter over a period of time they corrode

It happened to mine a new cable is £75 and problem solved spins twice as fast now

Mike

Re: lazy starter

Supersport Mike said:
Its more than likely the battery voltage cable from the battery to the starter over a period of time they corrode

It happened to mine a new cable is £75 and problem solved spins twice as fast now

Mike

What kind of job is it to fit Mike? I will do some voltage checks on it at the weekend and see what I come up with.

More than likely the starter motor .

Never seen an earth lead wether its battery or the engine strap cause this .. it's always possible but i've not yet seen it .

Noise is the bendix sticking .. it can be free off but that's not the slow spin over fault .

Check the cable whilst you at it , burnt / corroded connection on the starter end of the lead and its past its sell by date .

Manual and it's about a 3 hr job to replace the lead .. if you have a Tip though its an engine drop to replace this lead im afraid so circa 10 hrs ish to replace .

deMort said:
More than likely the starter motor .

Never seen an earth lead wether its battery or the engine strap cause this .. it's always possible but i've not yet seen it .

Noise is the bendix sticking .. it can be free off but that's not the slow spin over fault .

Check the cable whilst you at it , burnt / corroded connection on the starter end of the lead and its past its sell by date .

Manual and it's about a 3 hr job to replace the lead .. if you have a Tip though its an engine drop to replace this lead im afraid so circa 10 hrs ish to replace .

Thankfully it's a manual. I'll have a look at the weekend. 👍🏻

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back