Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

987 Driveshaft leaking grease and 2 other faults.

Vanquish Rider

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. Had our 987 7 years now and besides the dreaded IMS fail and a set of coils and front springs it has been very reliable.

Now I have 3 faults.

The nearside driveshaft has sprung a grease leak from the outer CV joint. It is not from the gaiter or the seal. It seems to have gone porous. And only really leaks at very high speed or when it is very hot. Driving at well into figures on the Autobahn 2 years ago showed it up. Hardly leaked since but always leaves a little grease on the wheel. But MOT time has come and gone and it has been picked up as an advisory. So must get round to doing it. Has anyone else experienced this? Don't seem to be any on Ebay so it seems they might be popular??? At £660 plus VAT new seems expensive. Any ideas where I can Get one for a 2005 Manual 3.2 S?

The 2nd fault is the heater fan speed fluctuates sometimes. I am assuming the motor resistor is dying?

3rd fault is somewhere in the passenger footwell we can often hear what sounds like a kettle boiling/bubbling? I'm baffled. Turning the aircon on or off makes no change. Heating settings make no change. I cannot guess what might be down there that makes this noise. Everything seems to work fine and it has never gotten worse. Any ideas?

All help appreciated.

:welcome:

Can't help with the faults but help with be along shortly :mechanic:

Pics are a pre-requisite of joining :grin:

:thumb:

The in-house tech will be along, he's worth his weight in gold.

1 / Drive Shaft leaking .. obviously a split boot is the usual but if not that then it can corrode under the boot where its clamped and at speed throw out some grease .

Failing that it will be part of it has rusted through .. this is the least likely or at least i've not seen it on a car as new as this before .

2 / The Resistor in these .. lets just say i've seen x1 replaced in 15 years by a mechanic .. and that wasn't the fault ... i'm not saying it isn't but it would be a little unusual if it is that .

Fan does stick on these though , i would pop the pollen filter out and give it a flick or a spin and see what it feels like first.

After that a tester on the car and check for fault codes / actual values to see if there's a faulty sensor and the car is reacting to that .

3 / Now this IS strange .. i would associate it with an a/c issue .. in the footwell you have the blower fan and most of the heater unit including the a/c evaporator .. the other side is the valve that controls the gas flow of the a/c ..

So lots of a/c / heater stuff there .

What i would like you to do is remove the foam panel under the glove box and have a good look in that area .. if possible with the fault happening .. also a sound clip of the noise .. a video perhaps with a phone and move it around the area .. stick it under the dash as well ...

Anything like this can help trust me .

If you can't upload to youtube yourself and post a link then send it to me and i'll repost it here .

[email protected]

EDIT ...

ref the noise .. turn off the blower fan .. i take it the noise is still there ?

deMort said:
1 / Drive Shaft leaking .. obviously a split boot is the usual but if not that then it can corrode under the boot where its clamped and at speed throw out some grease .

Failing that it will be part of it has rusted through .. this is the least likely or at least i've not seen it on a car as new as this before .

2 / The Resistor in these .. lets just say i've seen x1 replaced in 15 years by a mechanic .. and that wasn't the fault ... i'm not saying it isn't but it would be a little unusual if it is that .

Fan does stick on these though , i would pop the pollen filter out and give it a flick or a spin and see what it feels like first.

After that a tester on the car and check for fault codes / actual values to see if there's a faulty sensor and the car is reacting to that .

3 / Now this IS strange .. i would associate it with an a/c issue .. in the footwell you have the blower fan and most of the heater unit including the a/c evaporator .. the other side is the valve that controls the gas flow of the a/c ..

So lots of a/c / heater stuff there .

What i would like you to do is remove the foam panel under the glove box and have a good look in that area .. if possible with the fault happening .. also a sound clip of the noise .. a video perhaps with a phone and move it around the area .. stick it under the dash as well ...

Anything like this can help trust me .

If you can't upload to youtube yourself and post a link then send it to me and i'll repost it here .

[email protected]

EDIT ...

ref the noise .. turn off the blower fan .. i take it the noise is still there ?

I'd love to post a picture but cannot work out how? I put the file name in and click add attachment, but nothing seems to happen.

De Mort thanks for the response. Will try to get an audio clip for you the next time it does it. Which is fairly often. But as stated the fan speed and the AC being on or off do not seem to affect it.

The drive shaft seems to be porous. Which I know is almost impossible. But the CV Gaitor is perfectly OK and it passed the MOT with it again. The clip seems plenty tight enough also. Last year I washed it down with the steam cleaner and brake cleaner and was at a loss to see anything but what looked like a porous CV Joint outer casing.

The fan speed varies more when the weather is warm so will also try to get an audio clip of that for you also.

You have some strange faults here .. the noise rings a bell but for the life of me i can't put my finger on it .. hence a sound clip might jog my memory .

Any info to here please and i'll repost it for anyone else that can help ..

[email protected]

The picture has to be a small size .. i think it's less than 1.5 meg .. easier just to email it to me and ill do it .

Picture of the cv boot as well please .. i'm still thinking it has corroded under the rubber boot as a porous cv joint is again rare .

Picture of the driveshaft from Vanquish Rider ..

I've added where the grease is coming from imho and it is indeed a corroded cv joint .

Is it a problem though .. i think not .. it's just a bit messy and won't cause any real issues .. it can be left for now .

There is rather a lot of grease in these .. that is a small loss .

Attachments

• 20190512_203108_281.jpg
    20190512_203108_281.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 9,852
Pictures

Attachments

• b_124.jpg
    b_124.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 9,841
  • c_202.jpg
    c_202.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 9,841
  • d_676.jpg
    d_676.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 9,841
Anybody any advice as to where I might find a decent priced new shaft?

DeMort. It's been leaking 2 years now. So I think the grease must be getting low, But no noises from it yet.

Difficult for me to say .. there is a fair amount of grease in there .. what you have lost is minimal .. you have no noises to indicate a dry joint and no red coloured rust coming out so it would appear to be fine .

Red / rust is the normal indication you have a problem .. well that or a lack of drive !

Google ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362474912728?ul_noapp=true

I'm sure there are other options .

Gen 1 is upto 2008 .. gen 2 is 2009 onwards .

i'm not sure if they are the same shaft though ..

perhaps use this site to check ..

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp

i just googled the part to find answers im afraid .

i leave some of the leg work to you guys :D

That Shaft turned out to be for a Gen1 3.4 S Tiptronic Box.

I'll have to keep looking. But thanks for all the help anyway.

Does anybody know if a Gen 2 3.4S LH Driveshaft will fit a Gen 1 3.2 S?

I'm really struggling to find a used example anywhere. May be they all rusted through?

Part numbers are below:

3.2S
01c 1 98733202423 Drive Shaft LH | valid for 6-speed manual transmission [I480]

3.4S
01c 1 98733202427 Drive Shaft LH | BOXSTER S | valid for 6-speed manual transmission [I480]

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back