Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IPD Plenum fitting + AOS ---REPLACEMENT --

-- 997 --

Hi all, as ill be changing my plenum to an IPD and a few mods etc, was thinking maybe to fit a new AOS..

What sort of time scale is it to fit one and what do i need to strip down etc...

Cheers...

J

Attachments

• 20190501_132750_615.jpg
    20190501_132750_615.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,491
  • 20190501_132727_106.jpg
    20190501_132727_106.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,491
The plenum chamber end is easy to get at. The AOS will most likely be a different matter.

MC

Would be very interested at the aural changes this kit makes once installed.

it will sound nicer and lots more induction noise but it wont go any quicker.

in fact Wayne Schofield says don't bother with the bigger TB and plenum as it makes a road car worse as you do not spend all day at full throttle like a race car. for race or track cars where you spend a lot more time in the higher RPM and need the additional gas flow fine.

dyno results from Wayne have shown some 20 bhp drop and reduction in torque around the mid range as you lose the exhaust scavenging effect that gives you torque for the road and real world usage.

Wayne is a legend of tuning NA cars so I would be tempted to respect what he says rather than a company like IPD trying to flog products.

you have the parts so fair enough and I would say get the re map to try and make the most of what you have.

I presume OP is ironing out the flat spots.

Hi, i originally got the Fabspeed Twin Cone for £700 with heavy discount and was contemplating on getting an IPD despite reading of its power gains on rolling road, and one came up for couple hundred quid, was used for a year before owner sold his 997, so i was lucky!!!

As with the AOS, and with age of car. I decided to want to change the AOS as ill be doing the Plenum and Fabspeed!!

Once all bolted on and when i get time ill have to have a rolling road done.

With a 3+3 stainless steel manifold and 200 cell cats, valvetronic back boxes, IPD Plenum and Fabspeed Twin Cone i must get some results frome the car? Bare in mind i had an engine built and its end of running in stages, just need the second oil change and its balls out!!

Also if anyone knows of what tools are needed for the AOS swap??

Cheers guys !!

:thumb:

J

The most gain you will get from all that is the 200 cell cats. Expect 25-30 bhp with the remap but it won't be loads

Will sound awesome with those cats and the induction kit

I did an AOS on a 996, & it was a ballache to do. (Imagine papering your lobby walls through your letter box)
All in, it took me about 10 hours, but that was before I had the lift.

There are two different versions & mine was the one without the mini bellows on the bottom.

I used a ball end allen key, (6mm I think) Socket allen keys with a 1/4 drive ratchet & extensions to allow access from above.
I also had to modify a 10mm socket to allow access to one of the bolts which is partially overlapped by something. The socket was cut down at the open end, & used a grinder to taper the top end to make it a cone shape.

I also used a coolant clamp tool to remove the hose clips.

Like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clamp-Flex...ocphy=9046844&hvtargid=pla-699115112091&psc=1

Something else useful was a cheap USB borescope camera attached to a laptop which allowed me to look down the back of the engine where I was working as most of it is done by feel.

I might have done a write up on it, but not sure if it's on here or not.

Clanky said:
I did an AOS on a 996, & it was a ballache to do. (Imagine papering your lobby walls through your letter box)
All in, it took me about 10 hours, but that was before I had the lift.

There are two different versions & mine was the one without the mini bellows on the bottom.

I used a ball end allen key, (6mm I think) Socket allen keys with a 1/4 drive ratchet & extensions to allow access from above.
I also had to modify a 10mm socket to allow access to one of the bolts which is partially overlapped by something. The socket was cut down at the open end, & used a grinder to taper the top end to make it a cone shape.

I also used a coolant clamp tool to remove the hose clips.

Like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clamp-Flex...ocphy=9046844&hvtargid=pla-699115112091&psc=1

Something else useful was a cheap USB borescope camera attached to a laptop which allowed me to look down the back of the engine where I was working as most of it is done by feel.

I might have done a write up on it, but not sure if it's on here or not.

I think the 997 AOS is different to thecone your describing, as with clamps on the AOS unit i think is squeeze tab twist and pull off..

Cheers

J

MarkGolf said:
AOS is easy once you remove the throttle body. Dead easy.

I did it recently, you can see pics in my thread, link in my sig.

Ill check that out !! Also what sort of prices are the AOS ?

Cheers

J

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back