Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 21
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 36
993 : 1993-1998 2
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 25
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

deMort
Long Beach

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to remove the compressor so the x2 front torx bolts plus the third at the rear .. you lift it up a bit and pull it out , leave the a/c pipes connected .. all you are trying to do is make enough space to gain access .

The small pipes are what i would call fuel connector pipes .. on one side there will be a small tab .. you push this in then pull off the pipe .

I would suggest push the pipe on a bit then press the tab and remove .. it helps free it .

Sometimes this type of pipe will have x2 tabs .. normally red each side of a pipe .. you press both in this case but yours from memory just has the one tab .

This part can be a little tricky due to lack of access .

As with all jobs what the instructions say and what you need to do may vary .. basically i remove what i need to to be able to comfortably do the job .

My Daughter's Crowdfunding has hit the target see Here

Thank you all so Very much .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

-- 997 --
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
You need to remove the compressor so the x2 front torx bolts plus the third at the rear .. you lift it up a bit and pull it out , leave the a/c pipes connected .. all you are trying to do is make enough space to gain access .

The small pipes are what i would call fuel connector pipes .. on one side there will be a small tab .. you push this in then pull off the pipe .

I would suggest push the pipe on a bit then press the tab and remove .. it helps free it .

Sometimes this type of pipe will have x2 tabs .. normally red each side of a pipe .. you press both in this case but yours from memory just has the one tab .

This part can be a little tricky due to lack of access .

As with all jobs what the instructions say and what you need to do may vary .. basically i remove what i need to to be able to comfortably do the job .

Cheers Iain, that confirms it !! Ill be ripping the AC pump out tommorow!, the rear bolt looks abit tricky in honesty as you cant get your fingers to that area, i did use a mirror and shone a torch and i can see the reflection and the torx bolt!! To be honest Iain and in reality it doesnt take 3 hours to do this job, i think people were like over exaggerating who i spoke too, i reckon from start to finish with a couple cups of tea and comfortably an hour and half in my honest opinion....

Cheers

J

deMort
Long Beach

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book times .. sigh .

Any job that you have done once becomes a lot quicker the next time .. times are based on what Porsche says . some are good .. but not all and the instructions porsche gives are not always that " accurate " shall we say Smile

Mechanics earn bonus on book times you know .. well not indys .. we don't get bonus .

i try to give a time for jobs based on what i can do it and what a garage will charge .. a balancing act shall we say as i don't like to insult anyone .

rear a/c bolt .. various extensions with wobbly ends .. try what you have until you find what works for you .

I do find a telescopic magnet can sometimes be useful with jobs like this .

Mechanics do the job ... service advisors charge it out .. Wink

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

-- 997 --
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
Book times .. sigh .

Any job that you have done once becomes a lot quicker the next time .. times are based on what Porsche says . some are good .. but not all and the instructions porsche gives are not always that " accurate " shall we say Smile

Mechanics earn bonus on book times you know .. well not indys .. we don't get bonus .

i try to give a time for jobs based on what i can do it and what a garage will charge .. a balancing act shall we say as i don't like to insult anyone .

rear a/c bolt .. various extensions with wobbly ends .. try what you have until you find what works for you .

I do find a telescopic magnet can sometimes be useful with jobs like this .

Mechanics do the job ... service advisors charge it out .. Wink

Thats true regards with the book times!! I Was a technician for Renault Motors and BMW Alpina and everything was by the book time and when you finish a job early you just sit around and wait for the book time to reach !! But you know with experiance its quicker if your good with tools..

Cheers !!

J

deMort
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit different at OPC im afraid ... if we do the job quicker then we get the time and get on with the next job .. at the end of the month then anything at 90% and above we got payed a bonus ..

Ie at 90% efficiency ( there for 8 hours so if we sell 7 we are approx 90% ) we got £150 extra in our pay packet .. the higher and the more we got .

Basically if you do a job fast you get paid more for it ..

I'm not a big fan of this method .. a mechanic that cuts corners gets paid more .. its an incentive to .... erm .. well .. cut corners .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

-- 997 --
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
It's a bit different at OPC im afraid ... if we do the job quicker then we get the time and get on with the next job .. at the end of the month then anything at 90% and above we got payed a bonus ..

Ie at 90% efficiency ( there for 8 hours so if we sell 7 we are approx 90% ) we got £150 extra in our pay packet .. the higher and the more we got .

Basically if you do a job fast you get paid more for it ..

I'm not a big fan of this method .. a mechanic that cuts corners gets paid more .. its an incentive to .... erm .. well .. cut corners .

Daaaam, i see !, we just went by the book time and stuck to that, dont know if the working pattern had changed regards to bonus, we did have bonuses IF we worked overtime with shutters closed and on saturdays till 1pm.. i guess its different now!!

I completed the AOS change over, pix below!! It wasnt that bad!! Had worst jobs with more space to work in!! Grin the only thing that tpok more bloody time and a little frustrating wss putting the IPD Plenum well the plenum in general cos the rubber side connectors just didnt want to sit properly had to use flat head screwdrivers carefully prodding around the rubber to sit in right... not started the car yet as ill finish off tommorow..

Cheers

J

20190517_164631.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.53 MB
 Viewed:  581 Time(s)

20190517_164631.jpg

20190517_164636.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.48 MB

20190517_164636.jpg

20190517_150058.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.51 MB

20190517_150058.jpg

20190517_144342.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.62 MB

20190517_144342.jpg

deMort
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a difficult job as such but as usual on these engines access is limited so we have tools to deal with that .. without the tools then it becomes a challenge Smile

I must be sad .. i magnified the pictures to have a good look .. 15 years and i still love looking at pictures of these in bits .. sigh .

The rubber " boots " can be aquaward with standard let alone modified and i feel your pain there .. always tricky to see .. with a mirror normally if its seated correct each side .

Just for the OCD in me .. put the pas cap the right way around Very Happy

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

-- 997 --
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
It's not a difficult job as such but as usual on these engines access is limited so we have tools to deal with that .. without the tools then it becomes a challenge Smile

I must be sad .. i magnified the pictures to have a good look .. 15 years and i still love looking at pictures of these in bits .. sigh .

The rubber " boots " can be aquaward with standard let alone modified and i feel your pain there .. always tricky to see .. with a mirror normally if its seated correct each side .

Just for the OCD in me .. put the pas cap the right way around Very Happy

Hahaaaa, OCD, i turned the cap the right way now!! Just cleaning up some parts before belt goes on and i checked the 2 idler pulleys and they spin freely due to age and one of which you can hear like a grinding noise so will go monday and pick up a pair of pulleys with new bolts!! Porsche is all about money Surprised

Oh one other thing Demort, the Power Steering Fluid, is there any special type for the porsche? The fluid itself is the colour green, wondering if thats what porsche use?

Cheers

J

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimi, this is a good thread , I enjoyed reading the conversation between you and Ian. re the Fabspeed and IPD, Wayne Schofield remapped my car the IPD stayed but the fabspeed was removed and I used BMCs in the original airbox as he found it produced less power with the fabspeed , but I would say that its personal as the reduction was only small so you need to weigh that up against the fact the fabspeed looks and sounds bloody lovely . Based on your set of mods inc the exhaust I suggest you expect about 20/25 BHP total after the remap.
Choose your remapper wisely as Wayne told me that the previous remap on the car was " a typical guesswork reflash and its running advanced and lean and would ultimately damage the engine" .
I have to say after Waynes remap after the Hartech rebuild the car does feel more torquey and revs much more freely and is running just over 400 bhp (about 20 bhp over stock) but most importantly the power curve feels good and no flat spots in the usual 997 flat spot areas. Thumb Thumb

-- 997 --
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Jimi, this is a good thread , I enjoyed reading the conversation between you and Ian. re the Fabspeed and IPD, Wayne Schofield remapped my car the IPD stayed but the fabspeed was removed and I used BMCs in the original airbox as he found it produced less power with the fabspeed , but I would say that its personal as the reduction was only small so you need to weigh that up against the fact the fabspeed looks and sounds bloody lovely . Based on your set of mods inc the exhaust I suggest you expect about 20/25 BHP total after the remap.
Choose your remapper wisely as Wayne told me that the previous remap on the car was " a typical guesswork reflash and its running advanced and lean and would ultimately damage the engine" .
I have to say after Waynes remap after the Hartech rebuild the car does feel more torquey and revs much more freely and is running just over 400 bhp (about 20 bhp over stock) but most importantly the power curve feels good and no flat spots in the usual 997 flat spot areas. Thumb Thumb

Hi Phil, am glad for your response!! Wont be mapping yet!! Have you ran your engine in after rebuild? If so how miles have you done before mapping your car? Ill probably get it mapped during summer some time!!

Phil thing is, few BHP isnt noticeble to be honest and i understand trying to squeeze as much BHP to show on graph would be good to see, i guess theres always gonna be a give or take situation, loose a few BHP for induction sound and engine bay looks.

How much BHP did you lose with the Fabspeed gear on?

Also where is Wayne based for remapping if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers

J

deMort
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the fluid is special and is probably used on many makes of cars . ..

Pentosin CHF is what we use and it is indeed dark green Smile

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

-- 997 --
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
I doubt the fluid is special and is probably used on many makes of cars . ..

Pentosin CHF is what we use and it is indeed dark green Smile

Cheers deMort, im gonna have to get me some of that to fill up alittle!!

Thumb Thumb

J

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimi, Wayne is in the dark forests of the North in bear and wolves territory Grin so yes near Bolton Floor

The car had done about 400 miles before the remap its now done 2500 miles since getting it back from the rebuild about 4 weeks ago.and is loosening up nicely .

Wayne didn't give me the exact reduction in power between the two just said it was less and also showed a constant error code as the OEairbox sensor was not there with the fabspeed.

I agree totally with your thoughts and thats why I didn't diss the fabspeed, its down to personal choice as long as your clear the gains are grin, sound and visual and not power with the fabspeed then use it and enjoy it . but your going to see some gains from the other mods and on a 997.1 S I would be expecting to see not far off the power of the X51 power kit ,with the exhaust , ipd, a good remap and a 4" under drive pulley which was basically the set up I had on my gen1 .

-- 997 --
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Jimi, Wayne is in the dark forests of the North in bear and wolves territory Grin so yes near Bolton Floor

The car had done about 400 miles before the remap its now done 2500 miles since getting it back from the rebuild about 4 weeks ago.and is loosening up nicely .

Wayne didn't give me the exact reduction in power between the two just said it was less and also showed a constant error code as the OEairbox sensor was not there with the fabspeed.

I agree totally with your thoughts and thats why I didn't diss the fabspeed, its down to personal choice as long as your clear the gains are grin, sound and visual and not power with the fabspeed then use it and enjoy it . but your going to see some gains from the other mods and on a 997.1 S I would be expecting to see not far off the power of the X51 power kit ,with the exhaust , ipd, a good remap and a 4" under drive pulley which was basically the set up I had on my gen1 .

Hi phil, i guess when im ready with all mods ill be looking for a mapping session, can i ask how long did your car take for a map, was it all day thing?

Phil, you mapped your car at 400 miles from rebuild? Thought you have to run your car in and change oil then balls on it?

Cheers

J

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- 997 -- wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:

Hi phil, i guess when im ready with all mods ill be looking for a mapping session, can i ask how long did your car take for a map, was it all day thing?

Phil, you mapped your car at 400 miles from rebuild? Thought you have to run your car in and change oil then balls on it?

Cheers

J

I asked Hartech to do some running in prior to the remap so they put the miles on as Both them and Wayne are up North so I only wanted one trip lol.
Grant was happy at the mileage done and the car checked before it was passed over to Wayne ,it was then fully rechecked when it came back from Wayne and when Hartech were happy it was released to me.
I am not an engineer mate but there seemed some correlation between what using a thiner viscosity oil for running in is trying to achieve and giving the car a controlled few good revs . the plan from what I understand is to give the engine components a roughness before changing to the thicker viscosity oil which had now been done and I am back using millers 10W50 nano+ .
baring in mind that the car already had a remap on it and as it happens not a good one ,so leaving that would probably have been worse for the engine than anything . I dont know but that may have influenced decisions made Question Dont know

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: