Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To DRL or not

Basalt911

A few years ago I fitted my 997.1 with some Design911 DRLs. They certainly gave the car a fresher, more modern look

Now, one of the indicators appears to have blown and I'm not sure how much of hassle it'll be to replace. Has anyone had to do this?

That said, I'm also starting to think about returning the original side light/indicators in an attempt to keep the car super original and period

Interested in views on which way to go...

spoken to Design911 and they are, indeed a sealed unit, so I need to buy new DRLs (if I want to stay down the modern vs. original look)

problem i now have is getting the DRL out...it feels really firmly fixed and don't want to do damage getting out - I've put the credit card thingy into the release lug but it feels pretty stuck

any tips?

Agreed - its not that easy....

I take it you've read the page in the manual to see the spot where you push to release?
I found it was better to use 2 x old credit cards than the thick release card.
Easier to release when the plastic tab is warm too.

i'm currently using one credit card, so maybe it's not thick enough...but yes, in the right spot per the manual

happy days - two scuffed knuckles and the DRL is out

even happier - a wiggle of a wire, and the indicator works again

I am a technical god

I've had Dectane side repeaters and rear lights (Gen 1) for a couple of years - was always in two minds about them.

What I also found is the water just doesn't drain properly - there is no substitute for original parts.

I swapped out for Porsche all red rear lights, the original side repeaters and never looked back since.

Poker2009 said:
What I also found is the water just doesn't drain properly - there is no substitute for original parts.

mine stopped working after a jet wash...

Basalt911 said:
i'm currently using one credit card, so maybe it's not thick enough...but yes, in the right spot per the manual

I actually have the OEM removal "tool" and can confirm it is way stiffer than a single card. Put 2 back to back and you are about right...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back