Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tuning a Boxster for the track

The return of Marty Wild

Anyone got any experience with this? Was thinking about getting a 986 S and making it a bit more track focused.

Thinking straight off the back some buckets for support and weight reduction. Lighter wheels with some sticky rubber.

Update the brakes, suspension and ARBs. Seen there's a rollcage or bigger roll over hoop that some people whack in.

I know the 2.5 is more bullet proof, but I'd want the power.

Ken at 9e has just got back from track testing his Cayman at Portimao circuit and is developing power updates for a GT4. Different to your car but it might be worth talking to him to see options he may have for you.

Thanks for the heads up, could be an avenue.

I presume the old plenum and TB trick works on these cars for starters?

The return of Marty Wild said:
Thanks for the heads up, could be an avenue.

I presume the old plenum and TB trick works on these cars for starters?

Ragpicker did a plenum and TB upgrade on 'the leggy boxster'. You could also consider AC and stereo delete, centre console delete, remove spare wheel + jack, small non airbag steering wheel, short shifter. If you are getting serious LFW and LSD... Not that I have ever given this any thought myself :D Mazza on here might have a spare hard top available.

Start with a baffled / X51 sump.

There was an FVD Motorsport one in the classifieds, this is a great item that will help guard against oil surge.

Fit a low temp thermostat.

The rest you have mentioned.

Dont both with any power related bolt on engine mods, the items in isolation do not provide enough improvement to justify the spend.

Cheers, Gents. Yeah I'd lose a lot of what's mentioned. Can just whack a Bluetooth speaker in there for journeys to the track. I'd keep the AC I think though.

LTT a good idea. Are there companies that make decent bucket seats that don't cost the Earth?

What is LFW? Lightened flywheel? Guess I'd start with weight reduction I can do myself first. I've only done one TD so I don't need to go mental when I can still improve myself so much.

Light wheels for rotational mass reduction and unsprung weight as well as losing the seats must see real easy gains.

What car would one look out? How many miles would be the safest bet?

I just bought a 2.7 Boxster for very little money as it's an Insurance right off. Looking at what Ragpickers done and what your planning I'm going to tweak a few parts on mine.
Did a track day in a very old and leggy 2.5 last year and it was the best fun I've had on track in a while, they're not fast but they handle amazingly well and whilst you can be caught on the straights you lose then in the corners.

I built one recently.

Started with a standard Boxster S.
6 point welded in rollcage to stiffen it up, (also can be MSA log booked)
Bilstein Coilovers
Baffled Sump
EBC Blue pads all round.
Kill Switch.
R888 tyres all round.

He absolutely loves it, and he gives is some stick! Its Road legal too :)

Hes currently using it as a track day toy, but he can log book it in the future if he wants for Hillclimbs / Sprints etc.

Attachments

• box1_115.jpg
    box1_115.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 6,294
I think I'd start with some upgraded pads, fresh fluid and take it from there. You soon figure out what you want to do, in terms of handling, comfort, power etc.

Sort the brakes, handling and tyres before you start blowing a load of money on the engine. A set of lighter rims with a set of Toyo track tyres, which are road legal, will make a massive difference.

RXBoxster said:
I built one recently.

Started with a standard Boxster S.
6 point welded in rollcage to stiffen it up.

You just became my new best friend. Was it a custom roll cage? And the roof system still works I take it. Leaving you the option to have the rag, the hardtop or go speedster?

Cheers guys, if this plan takes place, it will be making up for me letting my beloved Cayman go...

So I'd look to jazzing things up a bit, straight off the bat, wheels, tyres and seating would be right right up there. Brakes is of course a no brainer.

Obviously the 986 has even more scare stories the the 987/997 era. How best to get an S but try to alleviate engine probs? Get a rebuilt one the best case scenario? But then what? A facelift that has had the IMS/RMS done?

Is a leggy one less likely to go having got that far or more likely to pop?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back