Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

a 996 track car going up for auction

Porsche News

something different

1998 Porsche 911 / 996 Carrera 2 Track Car
Registration S170 SLK
Chassis Number WP0ZZZ99ZWS608234
Engine Number 66W15434
Estimate £15,000 - £20,000

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/...-90-1998-porsche-911-996-carrera-2-track-car/

This 3.4 litre Carrera 2 was originally delivered in August 1998 and for a large part of its life remained as a standard road going coupé. In 2004 the car was damaged but repairable requiring a new engine and thus placed as a category D Insurance loss, the previous owner thus decided to change this into a track example so to enjoy trips to Spa, the Nürburgring and various UK tracks. At this time a factory 996 Aerokit was fitted and the car repainted before it was fitted with a roll cage, KW Clubsport GT3 suspension with remote reservoirs and adjustable damp and rebound damping. The car was set up by Ninemeister Porsche for the customer, they did a fabulous job of making this an very capable and pleasurable car for enjoying the legendary circuits and drives Europe can offer.

We are informed that this example was fitted with a baffled sump for track work, however this cannot be confirmed then GT3 split rim alloy wheels shod with R888 Toyo tyres. A fair amount of lightening works took place in replicating a Clubsport specification and internally the car has Recaro pole positions and a four point harnesses. The current vendors purchased the car in 2016 and have used it for promotional purposes and hill climbs, visiting Goodwood, Shere Hill Climb, Rockingham and Brands Hatch. Further improvements included solid engine mounts, replaced and renewed bushes, gear box mounts, an electric fire extinguisher and cut off switches. Possibly, pound for pound the most fun you can have in a Porsche 911, fabulous value for money and certain to get the adrenaline pumping, entirely comfortable, not only on the track but driving to and from the track, should you wish.

Attachments

• 1998_porsche_911_996_carrera_1_909.jpg
    1998_porsche_911_996_carrera_1_909.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 2,037
  • 1998_porsche_911_996_carrera_3_189.jpg
    1998_porsche_911_996_carrera_3_189.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 2,037
  • 1998_porsche_911_996_carrera_4_260.jpg
    1998_porsche_911_996_carrera_4_260.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 2,037
  • 1998_porsche_911_996_carrera_9_217.jpg
    1998_porsche_911_996_carrera_9_217.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 2,037
Looks good. Seems odd to have gone to all that effort and not removed the lower centre console

I think I saw Renaissance Classics using this for client passenger rides at Oulton Park last year in a track day I did with another car - if you look closely at the bonnet their logo is the yellow logo on the bonnet. They had a covered trailer with their logo on it.

Recall reading about that car when built by the owner. Lots of money and effort

I recall it was for sale for a while a couple of years ago, and looked better without the stripes (IMO)

A veruanle bargain for 20k, or less (though tainted by the Cat D)

The car has had some modifications between the previous and current time that it has been offered for sale - the older advert has the interior stripped in the rear, now it has carpet, the older car has the centre console removed, now it's back, old car has the three spoke wheel, new advert has the Momo - probably a bunch more would be spottable if you had more photographs in the current advert.

Anyone see the wires coming out from the steering column and terminating in a load of tape on the right hand front cage member? I have £5 on that being where the horn button has ended up.

Stickers and decals certainly don't do it any favours, nor does the roll cage. Unless someone is specifically looking for a track slag then it's seriously going to narrow down the potential buyers. At the end of the day it's a cat d 996 with about 90k miles on the clock and some nice extras. I'd be surprised if it met the reserve.

Why do people fit dash dodging cages :(. Hoping that's not a Porsche cage/the GT3 CS full cage option doesn't do that too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back