Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front Light Connector Help Needed

Darthmjh

Silverstone
I have an issue where the front light on one side won't work. It looks like it is the connector that the light goes into.

The white connector in the wing moves left and right and up and down.

As it moves, it doesn't always make a good connection.

Is it meant to move or should something be fixing it in place?

I presume you are talking abot the headight. If so yes the socket does move and it is well known for poor contacts. I replaced one a while ago same part as a Boxter iirc.
You can establish a good contact by using contact cleaner and if you remove the inner wing plastic wiggle it in place with the headlight pod in situ.
Replacement of the socket requires a special tool to extract the terminals.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/773405-headlight-connector-disassembly.html

I have the same problem with one of my headlights. As Endoman says the solution is to partially remove the wheel liner to get access to the socket.

I'm getting this sorted next service

I had a similar problem which I fixed by cleaning all the runners and applying silicon grease to them and around the rubber seal of the electrical conector. This reduced friction so it can find its own way in on insertion.

I also had a problem where the connector alignment wasn't quite correct so managed to bend one of the metal brackets a bit to solve this (obviously the car must have had a knock at some point in its past.

Sometimes the alignment lugs snap off around the connector. You could replace the connector on the lamp quite easily (I have done this), but the connector on the car is more difficult as it may be easier to change the loom section - I have not looked into this.

Until I did this I had to push the connector on from the wheel arch as suggested. However this is not possible on the LHS as there are water containers and other stuff in the way.

Jan

Hello.
I had a problem where my main beam wasn't working on one side. After all the usual investigations it turned out that one of the pins in the connector had 'pushed back' I was able to use a pair of wiring pliers and pull it back out and click it in to it's correct position.
Make sure all your pins are properly located.
Good luck.

pietrzj said:
I had a similar problem which I fixed by cleaning all the runners and applying silicon grease to them and around the rubber seal of the electrical conector. This reduced friction so it can find its own way in on insertion.

I also had a problem where the connector alignment wasn't quite correct so managed to bend one of the metal brackets a bit to solve this (obviously the car must have had a knock at some point in its past.

Sometimes the alignment lugs snap off around the connector. You could replace the connector on the lamp quite easily (I have done this), but the connector on the car is more difficult as it may be easier to change the loom section - I have not looked into this.

Until I did this I had to push the connector on from the wheel arch as suggested. However this is not possible on the LHS as there are water containers and other stuff in the way.

Jan
Newbie here, I had one dipped beam out. So I stupidly took the opportunity to replace all four with new Osrams. Now I only have one main beam working!!! I guess it is safe to assume I need to try these tricks with the connectors? Thanks for any advice.

You could try some contact cleaner and a little lube applied to the outer side of the male connector to help it "dock". You need also to check the beam adjustment works as this too is a sign that the headlights have not seated correctly.

I replaced my left hand side connector last night, right pain to get the pins out but did it without damaging anything, except the old connector, totally butchered it.

Everything works perfectly now though :thumbs:

Attachments

• img_0209_175.jpeg
    img_0209_175.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 3,697
  • img_0208_819.jpeg
    img_0208_819.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3,697
guards red said:
You could try some contact cleaner and a little lube applied to the outer side of the male connector to help it "dock". You need also to check the beam adjustment works as this too is a sign that the headlights have not seated correctly.
Thanks for this, contact cleaner and lube worked on the passenger side but the drivers side looks like the male connector in the car has been damaged in the past. It moves a little too much in its bracket and I speculate it is twisting when the headlamp unit tries to dock. The flanges on the unit are also missing in places so that probably doesn't help it seat. Will need to seek replacements...looks very sad with only one working headlight...

I also had this intermittently on one side, I 'fixed' it by removing the connector plug from it's bracket holder, then plugging into the headlight firmly by hand before re-inserting the headlight. I usually put a bit of liquid soap on the outside of the connector to lube it (not too much of course!)

jhrfc said:
I also had this intermittently on one side, I 'fixed' it by removing the connector plug from it's bracket holder, then plugging into the headlight firmly by hand before re-inserting the headlight. I usually put a bit of liquid soap on the outside of the connector to lube it (not too much of course!)
Great suggestion, I'll do that as a temporary fix until I can get the connector swapped out for a new blue one.

jhrfc said:

Ive just done this!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back