Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice please: Guards red 986

Barryn

Spa-Francorchamps
Evening, a bit of reassurance really.
I have been offered a very nice Guards red 986 2.5 from 1999
Three owners, just 57,000 miles the last owner has had it for ten years covering seven thousand miles in that time, oil and filters changed every year by the local BMW dealership.
Always garage and allegedly never been wet in the last ten years.
Good points are, everything works.
Service history is good
He warms it up every two weeks. (Sounds great)
Paint is excellent with very few tiny stone chips on the front bumper.
It has Bose speakers.

Negatives are, slight oil leak (possibility RMS/IMS)
One key only.
Tyres are ten years old (Pirelli with plenty of tread)
Very likely due a new serpentine belt.
Slight de lamination of one corner of the windscreen, just cosmetic.

Is there anything else I need to look for?

Maybe I'm getting carried away
:?:

Many thanks for any help..
Barry

apart from the usual elements of brakes, clutch, exhaust, suspension

IMS, RMS are a factor before you get to the roof which needs a good going over

its really a price question for a 20 year old 2.5, does it have A/C or any extra spec, otherwise needs to be cheap

Thanks..

I suspect a potential money pit, as you say lots to think about.

It's not expensive. Yet. :eek:

I think you will struggle to find a better example these days ..

It all comes down to the price though which you haven't mentioned .. if its silly money then no point carrying on .

A couple of points ..

If it hasn't been used in the wet .. stored in a dry garage then the exhaust will be fine .. along with the brake pipes which although not a huge deal do cost a wee bit on these cars .

Slight oil leak .. hell they all leak .. its 20 years old .. if its slight then thats not a problem ..

When we talk about ims / rms leaks we scale it 1 - 5 ..

1 = misting
2= damp
3= drips forming
4= oil starting to drip on the floor
5 = DONT EVEN START THE CAR !!

Sounds like yours is a 1-2 .. i mention it to a customer at 3 .. i put it as red on a 4 .. 5 and its pretty obvious .

Tyres need changing regardless .. too old .

You can buy another key .. circa £200 though .

New belt needed .. 0.4 hrs labour plus part .. not expensive .

Windscreen is not uncommon . cosmetic ... white patch and o/s/f ill bet .

You need to have the car up in the air basically .. a general look will soon say if its nice and clean or rusty .. if rusty then the owner is not quite telling the truth .

Smoking on these . worse way its an AOS .. pretty solid cars imho though .

I would drive the car if i were you .. you'll soon know if its good or not .. does it handle ok .. is there a hell of a lot of interior noises or just a few .

Roof open and close it .. make sure it all works .

Rule of thumb with these cars .. a lot of motor for your money .. as long as its not silly money :)

Many many thanks for that summary. :thumb:
It's less than four thousand.
The roof works a treat.
It's not dripping, just a haze.
I intend to do the belts etc.
I have been under it and there is very little in the way of corrosion. Nuts and bolts all look good as well.
Tyres will be hard as you say, need to go in the bin.
No smoking at all.

I have next week off so will probably do the deal then

Pictures to follow.

Sounds like a bargain. :thumbs:

Go for it. :thumb:

From the description .. i would buy it at £5 k .. if at 4 .. its well worth a punt .. spend a bit on the basics and you,ll have a very nice car at the end of it .

Trust me when i say .. i've seen a few of these and this seems a pretty good car :D

I need to know though .. is there a white patch on the o/s/f lower corner of the windscreen ?

Spoke to Iain in person this weekend and he told me about this thread. I had a go in the Precision 986 S yesterday. Was a complete eye opener, excellent cars. I am thinking about getting one and making it a track weapon.

It boggles my mind that the 986 is under appreciated and it comes as a shock to people just how good they are.

They really are the sports car bargain of the decade, if not the past 2 decades!

incredible!

EDIT - something else which may come as a shock is that if you look at a 986 on a lift, and compare it to a 981 - they are very nearly identical! Sure some of the parts are very slightly different - cheaper, pressed support bars instead of the cast ones on the 986, long tuning fork arms at the rear now have holes in on the 981 to save production costs, the undertrays are made from recycled plastic. Other than that they are essentially identical!

I've gone from despising them at their launch to thinking about getting one.

They are a lot of fun and surprisingly quick! Steering quite a bit heavier than my 987.

Even enjoyed having the roof down when I always thought I'd not like it.

Apologies for slight off topic but how much weight can be saved by binning off the electric rag top?

haha, yeah canny little characters, aren't they!?

From what I can remember the hard top felt heavier than the rag top (when I used to have a hard top). There isn't much in the way of electric gubbins and mechanisms for the convertible hood, so I'd say you might not get much of any net gain/loss by swapping one to the other.

Don't know for certain as never weighed any of them but I've changed the rag roof on a couple of occasions and they aint heavy.

:thumb:

Is that right, cheers, Raggy.

Can you lose both and have it on track as a Speedster?

Might start a thread on how to make one a little more potent.

It''s mine 🙂

I have taken the plunge.

Looking forward to cleaning it up, a good wash and valet.
Thanks for the advice.

46865006785_222a0d99e1_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back