Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Potential purchase - over revs

r21

Hi
I'm looking at 2013 4s from OPC, its a good price buts its a manual ex Silverstone car and has been into stage 5 over revs in its track days.

The dealer is happy to put the Porsche warranty on it but I've done some more reading and I'm a bit concerned now. In the first 8 hours of its life it had 38 stage 3; 91 stage 4 and 90 stage 5 ignitions - I've read several posts saying anything in stage 5 requires the engine to be stripped and inspected.

I'm going to speak to the dealer to find out a bit more on the warranty side but anyone with more experience offer some advice

Oof, it's had the money shift. I'd keep looking if I were you. Unless of course it's silly cheap.

Personally I would walk away and find another. Why risk the potential stress if something does go wrong.

The next buyer will ask the same questions when you come to sell.

r21 said:
Hi
I'm looking at 2013 4s from OPC, its a good price buts its a manual ex Silverstone car and has been into stage 5 over revs in its track days.

The dealer is happy to put the Porsche warranty on it but I've done some more reading and I'm a bit concerned now. In the first 8 hours of its life it had 38 stage 3; 91 stage 4 and 90 stage 5 ignitions - I've read several posts saying anything in stage 5 requires the engine to be stripped and inspected.

I'm going to speak to the dealer to find out a bit more on the warranty side but anyone with more experience offer some advice

When you said ex.silverstone, do you mean the OPC or the experience centre.

Although it may have changed, our understanding is that on a manual car Ignitions recorded in Ranges 5 and 6 would not be considered for a warranty, unless they have added a time factor to when it occurred ?

and which OPC is selling this ?

Hmm. Can't beat a careful running-in period.

Porsche News said:
r21 said:
Hi

When you said ex.silverstone, do you mean the OPC or the experience centre.

Although it may have changed, our understanding is that on a manual car Ignitions recorded in Ranges 5 and 6 would not be considered for a warranty, unless they have added a time factor to when it occurred ?

and which OPC is selling this ?

I was at the PEC in Feb and asked what happened to their stock. They tend to keep the GT stuff but everything else ends up in OPC showrooms

Bristol Porsche are selling it and happy to put the extended warranty on it, in fact it has had extended warranty since original warranty expired.

All I know is they said its a SilverStone car so I assume its been used as a track car. It has the x51 power kit and PCCB so I guess it was spec'd to go fast, stop fast.

I also just phoned Porsche Chester (my local OPC) for an independent view, they said if it was a long time ago (it was first 8 hours, done 568 hours now) then they will honour warranty and also if I want to extend it further they will, they are going to double check this and confirm in writing.

r21 said:
Bristol Porsche are selling it and happy to put the extended warranty on it, in fact it has had extended warranty since original warranty expired.

All I know is they said its a SilverStone car so I assume its been used as a track car. It has the x51 power kit and PCCB so I guess it was spec'd to go fast, stop fast.

I also just phoned Porsche Chester (my local OPC) for an independent view, they said if it was a long time ago (it was first 8 hours, done 568 hours now) then they will honour warranty and also if I want to extend it further they will, they are going to double check this and confirm in writing.

OPC Bristol should be open and honest with the car's 'rental' history :hand:
ref a recent example http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=133052 By law, dealers must disclose if a car offered for sale is an ex-rental car and in our book this is a car with a rental history

What you need to understand is the number of launch starts the car has and how worn the ceramic brakes are!

What is it with OPC Bristol and Yellow ex-Porsche Silverstone experience cars :dont know:

I would be looking to avoid that myself.
What's to say Porsche themselves will honour the warranty in the event of a big kaboom down the road?
Less stress to find one that hasn't had it's RS wrung every day.

There was a thread recently about ex-Silverstone Experience cars: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1470281&highlight=#1470281

I'm curious how you came to know it's an ex-Experience car. Did they volunteer the info, un-prompted, or did you ask the direct question?

Sadly, I think I'd walk away. Unless it's a unicorn spec car which you simply must have, in which case some serious negotiation is in order. Remember, the warranty is for component failure and NOT wear and tear. The hard life it's had on track with multiple drivers being encouraged to give it the beans will obviously have an effect on suspension bushes, bearings, brake friction parts, diffs and drive shafts etc and obviously the clutch. Most of that list will fall under the wear and tear category so you will not be able to claim under warranty so it's no surprise that Porsche is happy to provide warranty cover on these cars.

Adding to the above the over-revs issue and it becomes a less appealing proposition still. While it's comforting to have the full warranty, it's still a ball ache to have your car off the road being fixed if and when it's needed. And when you come to sell the car it's just another thing for a buyer to chip you for.

Although these cars do seem pretty tough and able to take "enthusiastic use" in their stride, I think I'd still be wanting it to be a good £10k cheaper than the equivalent non-Experience car to have me reaching for my debit card.

Obviously not many of us really know how our cars were treated prior to us owning them, but I think it's fair to say that someone who's invested their own money in it will have treated it well. Having done the Silverstone Experience last year, I'm very much looking forward to another one soon. It is a great day and certainly is a testament to the build quality that the cars can do it day in, day out, over and over again. Would I buy one of them though....? It would have to be a pretty special car at a very tempting price.

I asked specifically if was a track car, they said most likely as its ex Silervstone. The fact that its been hammered in its early days would back that up.

PCCB are on 70%

Car is £5K cheaper to a comparable model and its close to the spec that I want i.e. Yellow 4s manual,chrono, PSE, black leather interior. The Powerkit and PCCB are nice to have as well.

I wouldn't buy with range 5. Not worth the hassle later.

This is the second post in the last few months of a similar nature.

Do OPC's have to say they are selling an ex Silverstone car?

I would not want one if it were me

Magic919 said:
I wouldn't buy with range 5. Not worth the hassle later.
I agree, given that it copped a flogging in the early days what ever was going to pop, would have done so already. The hassle will come when you go to sell it and people will question the over rev report as you have done here. Giving you the dealer trade in path as the only option when you go to move it on.
Onto the next one

They don't usually disclose it and, unless you specifically ask, I can't see why they would have to.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back