Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Drain Plugs

Swampy

Spa-Francorchamps
Afternoon all, after giving my car a wash this morning I decided to have a look for the 2 drain plugs that members have mentioned that need cleaning out, situated by the battery was mentioned... Could I find them :dont know:
Has anyone got a picture or a diagram of these said plugs as I would like to check that they are not blocked :thumbs:

Swamps :)

Swampy said:
Afternoon all, after giving my car a wash this morning I decided to have a look for the 2 drain plugs that members have mentioned that need cleaning out, situated by the battery was mentioned... Could I find them :dont know:
Has anyone got a picture or a diagram of these said plugs as I would like to check that they are not blocked :thumbs:

I have not got a picture but they are either side of the battery and around 20mm diameter black rubber grommet looking things.
You need to take the battery cover off and the covers off either side of that.
Should be pretty obvious then.
I blew mine clear with the hose pipe

These should help Swamps :)

Attachments

• 997_drains_photo_3_555.png
    997_drains_photo_3_555.png
    220.7 KB · Views: 1,474
  • 997_drains_photo_2_198.png
    997_drains_photo_2_198.png
    186.6 KB · Views: 1,468
  • 997_drains_photo_1_188.png
    997_drains_photo_1_188.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 1,468
Many Thanks Tonyc911, just what I was after, I have seen these before but wasn't sure where, I shall keep a copy for future ref :)

The grommets are there to stop rodents entering that area .. they don't do that job very well i'm afraid .

They tend to block up with leaves and debris from trees ..

You can blow through them .. x2 each side of the battery or the unofficial fix .. push them out .. they will drop onto the fuel tank and disappear down the road leaving a much larger hole that will never block.

If they do block they will fill that area with water which will then enter the pollen filter and cause a wet carpet .. o/s and they will allow water to get into the grommet in the bulkhead there .

Up To you if you push them out or blow them out .

Images above show the very early type .. so upto 2000 model year with drain tubes .. after that it was just a single grommet ( 996 type ).

deMort said:
The grommets are there to stop rodents entering that area .. they don't do that job very well i'm afraid .

They tend to block up with leaves and debris from trees ..

You can blow through them .. x2 each side of the battery or the unofficial fix .. push them out .. they will drop onto the fuel tank and disappear down the road leaving a much larger hole that will never block.

If they do block they will fill that area with water which will then enter the pollen filter and cause a wet carpet .. o/s and they will allow water to get into the grommet in the bulkhead there .

Up To you if you push them out or blow them out .

Images above show the very early type .. so upto 2000 model year with drain tubes .. after that it was just a single grommet ( 996 type ).

Thanks DeMort, I did find one hole, right hand side of the battery (N/S) about the size of a 10p bit, I discounted that as I was expecting to see a grommet but it may of been pushed out as you mentioned above, looks as if that was one of them but I have a better idea where to look now :)

Thanks to you all :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back