Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 3.6 multifunction wheel swap?

Hertsdriver

Hi all, am looking at a very nice 3.6 but it has the ford mondeo looking big triangle multi function wheel. Is a swap to a sports wheel from an 's' model a simple swap? do you just lose the multi function ability from the wheel or do you have to install something to fool the system into thinking its still attached and not give a warning error? I did search but could find anything specific to this particular swap.

Hertsdriver said:
Hi all, am looking at a very nice 3.6 but it has the ford mondeo looking big triangle multi function wheel. Is a swap to a sports wheel from an 's' model a simple swap? do you just lose the multi function ability from the wheel or do you have to install something to fool the system into thinking its still attached and not give a warning error? I did search but could find anything specific to this particular swap.

I put a Sport Desgin steering wheel on my old Boxster 987and had to have the horn recoded using PIWIS as it would'nt work.

Ive put a gen2 wheel on my 997 (it had the same pants "Mondeo" wheel as yours)..and this was a simple replacment...no coding.

The actual removal and is very easy....you will need a TORX bit which i think is 55

Triangle (std gen 1) airbag wheel to sport (round airbag gen 1 & 2) is an easy swap, but you will loose the mfsw.

Plenty of directions here. Just be sure to leave keys in position 1 when you remove the battery.

If you want to retain mfsw functions, there is a gen 2 version. Suspect that will need coding for horn and maybe new steering wheel module.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back