Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Its not good news !!!

bobi61

Well today I have had the phone call ,,,my mechanic has found water in No6 cylinder,, what is causing this neds to be assessed ,,it is leaking from a crack in my exhaust manifold which explains white plume of steam on start up,, a rebuild of some sort looks inevitable, Just numb with pain and doubt and stress of getting the money !!

Noooo, really sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed it isn't too painful.

MC

...genuinely hope that the news is better than you worry it will be...

You have a head gasket failure on that side .. i take it the car ran without a misfire .. and i mean a proper misfire but smoked ? ..

if so it sounds like you have had a lucky escape .. water in a cyl hydraulic locks and D chunks the liner .. THEN its a full on engine rebuild .

D chunk = part of the cylinder wall is punched out .. it always looks like the letter D ... and i saw my first one back in 2005 on a Boxster .

Bob , sorry to hear this .and hope its not as serious as you think but if it is it does mean you can justify it being a keeper. remember the cup half full solution is borrow 12k get it rebuilt eg 12k keep the car for 4 years thats 2.5k per annum plus a bit of interest, less than the annual depreciation of say a bmw or merc, so your no worse off than if you had spent 25k or so on a euro box but the fun of having a 911 , now for me the next call would be to Hartech to ask about their 3.9 conversion .with the Hartech liners and no future worries about IMS or borescore get back a bullet proof keeper :thumb:
Its a better view than feeling bad and gutted about it , and the way I felt when spending the money on my gen2 rebuild that I pick up tomorrow. I do hope you can put a positive spin on yours mate

Phil 997 said:
Bob , sorry to hear this .and hope its not as serious as you think but if it is it does mean you can justify it being a keeper. remember the cup half full solution is borrow 12k get it rebuilt eg 12k keep the car for 4 years thats 2.5k per annum plus a bit of interest, less than the annual depreciation of say a bmw or merc, so your no worse off than if you had spent 25k or so on a euro box but the fun of having a 911 , now for me the next call would be to Hartech to ask about their 3.9 conversion .with the Hartech liners and no future worries about IMS or borescore get back a bullet proof keeper :thumb:
Its a better view than feeling bad and gutted about it , and the way I felt when spending the money on my gen2 rebuild that I pick up tomorrow. I do hope you can put a positive spin on yours mate

Thats a very good way of looking it it!

:thumb:

Kaboom

I also went with Phil997's logic. Got mine back from Hartec a few weeks ago.

Stuck a full Cargraphic system on as well, and it's flippin marvellous.

Phil 997 said:

If it is "only" a head gasket, is it going to be a £12k rebuild? He doesn't mention scored bores etc. so is he going to need new Hartech liners and rebuild etc? The other possibility might be a cracked cylinder head. But I have only seen one example at my indy and that was driving on when it overheated and not stopping early enough.

Budget for 12K and then anything less is a win!

bobi61 said:
Well today I have had the phone call ,,,my mechanic has found water in No6 cylinder,, what is causing this neds to be assessed ,,it is leaking from a crack in my exhaust manifold which explains white plume of steam on start up,, a rebuild of some sort looks inevitable, Just numb with pain and doubt and stress of getting the money !!

Sorry to read of your problem,..may i ask what engine you have.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back