Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Auxilliary belt tensioner

MR997

Is it possible for the belt tensioner to make a low rumble/knocking sound? It has been suggested that may be a possible issue and i'd rather be preventative than fix a problem after its happened. it is difficult to tell if the sound is speed dependent as the engine noise drowns the sound out if the revs are increased. Are there any simple tests?

I think i covered this in the PM you sent but for anyone else ..

Not really , alternator makes a deep rumbling ..at least on the 996 it does but as these get older .. the tensioner suffers from seizing and as such needs to be checked by someone that knows about this fault .

Copy paste my reply here if you wish .

This car is a gen 2 btw and is different from a gen 1 .

DeMort, thank you.

Copied and pasted for the benefit of others:

Rumble .. first off .. the Gen 2 tensioners have a problem .. not all garages are aware of it .. the tensioner has a pivot .. it seizes .. it will end up causing damage.

Air box out .. 30 mm spanner and move the tensioner down .. the Torx bolt should not move and the tensioner should spring back .. the pivot is the disc under the torx bolt .

Ok .. noise .. take the drive belt off and check each pulley . spin by hand if nothing obvious then start the car .. is the noise still there .. if it is then its not a pulley .

Rumble .. it tends to be the alternator if its a deep tone but that's cars in general .. you will soon see when you do the above .

i've not had a tensioner make a noise .. i've seen them snap though due to the above problem .. not so good if it damages the engine casing shall we say .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back