Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Random issues resulting in ECU replacement

Hi All, wanted to post up my experience over the last month in case someone else stumbles upon the same misfortune. About a month ago my car mysteriously died after picking it up from 9e. It started fine (they had moved it in the morning) and then 1 minute after idling when I was loading it with bags, the car died and wouldn't restart. The guys there eventually got it started through resetting codes and giving a boost to the battery. Once it was started we turned it off and it started again fine. At this stage I didn't think it was much of an issue and mentally noted I probably needed a new battery.
About a week later on the way to work about 20 mins into my drive, the car died again with PSM and check engine light flashing on before the car very quickly died and wouldn't restart. I got towed to OPC where they assessed it and suggested a new battery and fuel pump relay. This seemed to have sorted the problem, I picked it up and then 10 minutes down the road it died again. Same pattern, PSM and Check Engine light came on the dashboard and then it died. Got towed to OPC again where they replaced the fuel pump itself. Was due to pick it up when they called and said that it wasn't starting and they needed to revisit the issue. They then identified the ECU as the problem and replaced this after having to wait a couple of days for the part to come in.
So far this seems to have solved the problem. I've clearly used up all my luck this year as this was all thankfully covered under warranty apart from the battery. I've not really been able to find any other examples of ECU's needing replacement so it seems to be a rare occurrence.

997 ecu replacement is as rare as hens teeth .. never done one myself ..

To be fair i've only changed a couple of 996 ecu,s .

With out fault codes and a fair amount of looking at the actual values of the engine sensors then there's not much i can say .. but i think monitor it for now ..

Its a bit strange shall we say and i'm not yet convinced but hopefully this is the issue .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back