Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres? Michelin or Pirelli''s or.....

Aikidoka

Silverstone
Have Michelin cup sport tyres at the moment and it was cold and greasy the other morning and it was 'interesting'. I will need to change soon, so anyone running Pirelli's or have any other suggestions. I have a 991.1 GT3 and rarely track and it is for fast road driving.

Sooner nail my testis to a burning building than run Pirelli. Just got some off my runaround and whacked PS4s on, difference is night and day.

We've been having cold starts, normal tyres aren't technically supposed to be run below 7c. RWD car with 400+ horses, conditions were the main factor here IMO.

That is a very fair point and next time I will have a word with the powers that be to make sure the tarmac is nice and dry and the temperature is a balmy 10 degrees or better..... or is there is a better all weather tyre, which would give better grip? :thumb:

Had my GT3 on a (dry) track twice, it's Cup2 tyres were incredibly sticky, it all made sense, no road tyre is going to be as good. On dry roads they were very good, but in the wet/cold I did have a couple of moments and couldn't trust them at my skill level.

That said, until they're warm the PZeros on my normal 991 are skittish to say the least. I moved from Pirelli to Michelin when I had a 993 and will do the same again for the predicable and progressive grip.

A friend with a Turbo S and another with a Boxster have gone to Michelin PS4S over past year and tell similar tales for using on the road as well as comparing them with other high performance road tyres when on the track.

Common consensus across the motoring world is that PS4 are currently the best 'do-all' tyre.

If you have a Porker warranty to think about, as you might with such a motor! Then I'd go PS2 which can be bought in 'N' rating.

Failing that, no one has a bad word to say about the PS4, they're the mutts nuts.

Bear in mind that as good as the PS4 is (our hatchback has them), the PS4S is a different tyre and the one that's finding its way onto the 992 as one of the standard fit :thumb:

Thanks and very helpful, seems PS4S....

Where to buy?

Hi all, sorry to jump on this thread, i'm also away to buy some new tyres for my car.

I'm keeping it on the Cup tyres as it will only be summer mild weather driving for me.

Does anyone know the best (cheapest) place in the UK to order up tyres? I've been told Oponeo, any other ideas?

Thanks Al

Camskill always competitive, also tyreleader and blackcircles worth a look.

MJA911 said:
Camskill always competitive, also tyreleader and blackcircles worth a look.

MJA911 THank you very much, Tyreleader seems to have come up trumps by £30 a tyre :thumb:

What sizes are you looking for? I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the following sizes with @500 miles on them. 295/30R19 and 235/35R19

I have done the "try 19's on a 996 and gone back to 18's" gig with my 996 C4S, so the 19" tyres are for sale. I bought them on 17/4/19 from Tyres Northampton and paid £899.97 all in. I'd sell them for £675 if anyone is interested. No desire to hijack the thread but the OP is looking for tyres and I have some I am selling. :thumbs:

Shurv said:
What sizes are you looking for? I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the following sizes with @500 miles on them. 295/30R19 and 235/35R19

I have done the "try 19's on a 996 and gone back to 18's" gig with my 996 C4S, so the 19" tyres are for sale. I bought them on 17/4/19 from Tyres Northampton and paid £899.97 all in. I'd sell them for £675 if anyone is interested. No desire to hijack the thread but the OP is looking for tyres and I have some I am selling. :thumbs:

Thanks for the offer but i am looking for 245 35 R19 Michelin Cup's for the fronts on my Gen2 RS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back