Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alternator replacement - freewheel Pulley

DucatiRob

Mugello
Thinking of replacing my alternator, as well as the dreaded starter motor cable! A Bosch replacement is available with the freewheel pulley and without, no idea if mine has this type of pulley or not, but guessing it is better with rather than without for smoother running?

Anyone with any knowledge/experience of this would be grateful

:thumb:

First of all .. is there a reason ?

If it aint broke and all that ..

If both fit your car then get the free wheel .. i think thats whats fitted as standard but to be honest i just fit what i'm given and can soon tell if it is that type when i look at it so i can test the free wheel function .

Free wheel stops a load on over run on the engine , it's only small and not being a driver as such i couldn't say the benefits of fitting one if it wasn't already fitted .

deMort said:
First of all .. is there a reason ?

If it aint broke and all that ..

If both fit your car then get the free wheel .. i think thats whats fitted as standard but to be honest i just fit what i'm given and can soon tell if it is that type when i look at it so i can test the free wheel function .

Free wheel stops a load on over run on the engine , it's only small and not being a driver as such i couldn't say the benefits of fitting one if it wasn't already fitted .

I know what you mean DeMort, and I'm not one for spending money when I don't need to, but both the alternator and water pump were diagnosed as being a bit tired by Hartech when the engine was rebuilt a couple of years ago now, both are original items and all the pulley wheels are a bit noisy, so planning to do everything together along with the cable to hopefully remedy the hot start issues I've had for a while.

Have a few long Euro trips planned and don't want everything as good as it can be :thumb:

Fair enough ..

With the belt off then spin each pulley in turn .. the idlers pulleys can make a noise .

Alternator noises are very rare though .. normally its just an idler pulley .

I've had an engine whine noise up to about 2500rpm for a couple of years now, have always suspected it might be the alternator, hasn't got any worse and it's not a big deal, but if replacing it cures the noise, happy days! Anyway, having had pretty much everything else on the engine replaced it will be peace of mind if nothing else :)

I very much doubt you have this fault but just to be safe check the power lead from the battery as per here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118716&highlight=power+dist

Just slide it off a bit and look for corrosion on the pin .

You symptoms don't fit this fault at all but its worth checking before going straight for the starter lead .

You also have a connection on the side of the gearbox that can corrode .. again its normally the starter lead but worth checking .

Covering all bases here :D

deMort said:
I very much doubt you have this fault but just to be safe check the power lead from the battery as per here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118716&highlight=power+dist

Just slide it off a bit and look for corrosion on the pin .

You symptoms don't fit this fault at all but its worth checking before going straight for the starter lead .

You also have a connection on the side of the gearbox that can corrode .. again its normally the starter lead but worth checking .

Covering all bases here :D

Thanks DeMort, I checked this a while ago after I reading your advice in that thread :thumb: so fairly sure it is the starter cable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back