Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo Gen1 v Gen2

elan

I know this has been debated several times but I am looking for some views that would be relevant to me. I have a 2008 997.1 Turbo and 996.1 C4, both manual. I have an itch to change cars and looked at 996 C4S or 997.2 to replace the 996.1. I am now considering selling both to get a 997.2 Turbo.

Which model/option is likely to fair better with depreciation longer term? Would the newer gen2 Turbo likely to depreciate more? Is the performance difference enough to make the swap? I am not really interested in GT cars as I prefer the 2+2 seating. The car is likely to do less than 2000 miles per year. Am I better off replacing both cars for one nice lower mileage 997.2 Turbo or keep the 997.1 Turbo and upgrade the 996 to 997.2 carrera or even something else. :?:

I would say a 997.2 Carrera S/4S would depreciate the least out what you've suggested. There has been very little movement on price for the last 5 years, not withstanding mileage. Potentially it could appreciate a tad.
I may be biased, but a manual 997.2 is such a joy. You have a great choice ahead of you

I reckon that the 997.2 Carrera will lose you the most money in terms of depreciation. Not far of the price of a 991 and maybe due a price correction.

elan said:
You are right about the prices of 997.2, my first option was to go for a 997.2 C4S but just haven't found the right one.

This car though looks amazing, not sure if I can justify one more expensive toy. https://www.jzmporsche.com/used-vehicle-details/Porsche-911-U1588/

I'd just sell the 996 C4 and keep the 997.1 turbo. I can understand why you'd want that aqua blue manual 997.2 turbo as they're rare as hens teeth. Looks absolutely stunning.

Having said that I think the gen 2 USP is PDK. JZM have a lovely green gen 2 too ;)

997.2 C4S a good shout too. I think more fun and sorted chassis than gen 1 997.1 turbo and more fun with lovely exhaust note if you get PSE. Best value 997 out there IMO

That car at JZM is a lovely example and the colour is stunning, as they have said though it won't sit there for long. The only word of warning is check the ECU for over rev's. There was a turbo up for sale a while ago that had a lot of over rev's, this is the only trouble with the manual cars.

If your looking for a PDK car I know where there's a good one that could be bought for reasonable money.

I can't see current values of either Turbo changing that much in the foreseeable future but obviously the Gen2 would need you to invest more £££s to start with. Personally I'd struggle to justify the extra £££s for the small performance increase, better gearbox and upgraded PCM.

The 997.2 Carrera is well regarded and outside of a GTS a C4S is proven to be the best investment. Again it would require a big injection of capital over your existing 996.1 but I doubt that it would depreciate much over time.

It is true that asking prices are starting to overlap between Gen2 997s. and Gen1 991s BUT if you compare like-for-like eg. 997.2C4S v 991.1C4S there is still a big difference.

In your position I'd be keeping the 997.1 Turbo and changing the 996 for a 997.

Ive got a very similar set up to you, a 996.2 6MT Couoe and a 997.1 6MT Convertible. My decision is easier as they are in different countries and with my work I only get to drive them around 500 miles a year at a push.
Each are era specific and the 996 is the one I have an emotional attachment to but the Turbo is a very special childhood dream come true.
The only car I would possibly sell the 996 for is a 996 C4S. If I was permanently in one country I would not keep both of them. It would be the one Turbo. To decide to go from a 997.1 to. 997.2 Turbo it would be down to the test drive. I personally would not think it is worth it.
I have a modern BMW as a daily so the issue of outdated PCM in the Turbo is irrelevant. It's for driving.
Now from a 997.1 TT 6MT to a 997.2 Turbo S, that would be very interesting but it would be down to the age old debate of Manual vs, PDK. I'd be tempted but I reckon long term value lies in the 997.1 Mezger with a Manual Gearbox.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. We use the Alpina B3 as the "family" car so its got all the toys with the performance and comfort. The Mrs has been using the 996 more than me and she loves it, apart from the clutch so a PDK would make sense. I love manual cars but do see the attraction of the PDK as I find on my Turbo that you have to be super quick to change from 1st to 2nd at full tilt.
Its hard to see how the two turbo models will fair over the next few years. Bobba doesn't seem to be around to drive up the prices the Mezger cars :grin:

If I replace both cars it seems to make sense to go for a 997.2 T PDK otherwise a tad sensible option is to upgrade 996 to 997 PDK, ideally a C4S.

Slightly off topic, what price range would you expect for a decent 996 3.4 manual coupe with 85k miles?

Its interesting how irrational you can be when you see a lovely car in a colour that you love. The Turbo S would be a significant jump but cant really justify it, for now!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back