Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Variocam tapping noise

noblebenn

1999 996 3.4 Tiptronic.

I have an intermittent tapping noise at idle coming from the rear of the off side which appears to be from the Variocam. It disappears sometimes by itself but always with a few revs applied.

Any thoughts on what the tapping could be from the Variocam?

Hydraulic tappets all replaced on both banks so not these and definitely not bottom end.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

What oil grade?

I've had 3 different 3.4 996"s all have ticked on hot idle, all ran fine with no issues.

Posted before by someone else, but. The term "Tickover" was apparently coined by the engine speed that the ticking noise from a reciprocating engine ceases to tick at. Increasing the low idle speed on these engines tends to stop the ticking noise. Just a characteristic of these motors that sometimes happens. Think there is a member on here with a full rebuild which does it. If you don't have A/C on, try it and see if noise goes away or decreased

Could be piston slap but I'd hazard that this is unlikely unless it's a heavier knocking sound?

Ultimately I imagine you will get lots of answers and suggestions on here but you may decide to go to a good independent garage to give you a definitive.

Hope this helps

Could be a few things, if it's tapping like the lifters, just because they have been replaced does not mean it's not them. Why were they replaced? If they failed but the cause was not addressed forinstance they were oil starved and the blocked oilways were not cleared then the problem will reoccur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back